Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Paul S trials and testing > Another Rolling Road Log

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Result.

It does actually what it says on the tin !!!!

Well it did after we advanced the ignition a bit.

Ist run was much the same as before despite my attempts to improve matters. 104hp and 95 lb ft.

Following Troys advice, we advanced the ignition for the top two lines of the map. We had it set at 18 degrees advance at 1 bar boost. Too conservative.

Anyway, the final run at 24 degrees maximum ignition advance was no better than 22 degrees, so we knew we had the optimum.

The end result was 112 hp and 105 lb ft. Just three horsepower down from expected, but boost was down to 0.84 bar from 0.88, so overall approx. a 10% improvement.

Still can't get the outer cylinders running as rich as I would like on the rolling road, whereas on the dual carriageway they are spot on.

I'll post the Megaview log later.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

Looks good to me. Very impressive figures for a 998.

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Here is the MV log:

Inner cylinders ar AFR1, outers AFR2.

Lean on the outers, mainly due to trying to run a 9mSec pulse width at 6000 rpm.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

And these are the calcs that back it all up:

PaulH

1346 Posts
Member #: 2340
Post Whore

Dublin Ireland

where did that nat asp figure come from Paul

Attachments:

Edited by PaulH on 6th Nov, 2009.

On 17th Feb, 2009 Rob H said:

I find the easiest way is to super glue the bolt to the end of one of my fingers.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 6th Nov, 2009 PaulH said:
where did that nat asp figure come from Paul

That's calculated from the engine capacity and VE.

sturgeo

857 Posts
Member #: 1778
Post Whore

Northants

looks alot smoother than the previous runs.

Must be on the limit of the injectors in the given timeframe *oh well*

Edited by sturgeo on 6th Nov, 2009.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

We could play with the injection timing to see if the improved combustion due to more ignition advance has an impact on the AFRs.

I was tempted to try different injection timing whilst at the RR, but we know that we get better distribution under real conditions, plus the clock was ticking.

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Well done. very impressive results.

How did the rolling road session compare to last time? Where they as friendly and helpfull as before?

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 6th Nov, 2009 apbellamy said:

How did the rolling road session compare to last time? Where they as friendly and helpfull as before?

Thanks.

Even more helpfull than before. Just Troy on his own doing all the rigging and setup. He had time (plus I was paying by hour :) ) to analyse the results and give advice.

We did power 5 runs in all. £122 for about 1 1/2 hours which I thought was reasonable.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 6th Nov, 2009 sturgeo said:

I agree, 9mS at 6kRPM is 45% total duty (ie, 2 X 22.5% equivilant if it were single pulses).

I have a set myself an arbitrary limit of 2 X 20% based on everything you have shown with your testing.

Presumably on the Miglia with triple injectors and staged you are aiming for a lower duty cycle anyway ???

It's still strange the AFRs drift on the RR but not on the real road... any thoughts as to why ???

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 6th Nov, 2009 Rod S said:
On 6th Nov, 2009 sturgeo said:

I agree, 9mS at 6kRPM is 45% total duty (ie, 2 X 22.5% equivilant if it were single pulses).

I have a set myself an arbitrary limit of 2 X 20% based on everything you have shown with your testing.

Presumably on the Miglia with triple injectors and staged you are aiming for a lower duty cycle anyway ???

It's still strange the AFRs drift on the RR but not on the real road... any thoughts as to why ???

I think that 20% is about the maximum. The Miglia, with 2200 cc/min per port should be good for over 200hp, but may be straying above 8mSec. We may need to go higher.

The AFR distribution seems to be very temperature dependant. With normal driving conditions and a hot inlet port, all is well. Sitting on the rollers and going from idle to full blast in just a few seconds does not give enough time for the port to reach temperature. Hence you get more wall wetting and consequently you get more fuel in the inner cylinders. That's my/Jean's theory anyway.

We need more people taking this on and doing more testing to get a bigger picture of what is happening, but I'm happy that I've achieved what I set out to get from the 998 power wise.

105 lb ft is more than enough for a standard set of gears and a verto clutch.

sturgeo

857 Posts
Member #: 1778
Post Whore

Northants

On 6th Nov, 2009 Paul S said:

105 lb ft is more than enough for a standard set of gears and a verto clutch.

and your driving *happy**happy**happy*

apbellamy

16540 Posts
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

On 6th Nov, 2009 apbellamy said:

Thanks.

Even more helpfull than before. Just Troy on his own doing all the rigging and setup. He had time (plus I was paying by hour :) ) to analyse the results and give advice.

We did power 5 runs in all. £122 for about 1 1/2 hours which I thought was reasonable.

Shame I'm a scummy Northerner *wink* Or they would be my new rolling road of choice...

i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

The AFR distribution seems to be very temperature dependant. With normal driving conditions and a hot inlet port, all is well. Sitting on the rollers and going from idle to full blast in just a few seconds does not give enough time for the port to reach temperature. Hence you get more wall wetting and consequently you get more fuel in the inner cylinders. That's my/Jean's theory anyway.

That certainly makes sense. I wonder how long you could hold a moderate amount of power on an RR (assuming you don't mind the £/hr !!!) before cooling became an issue, ie, to try to raise port temperatures.

We need more people taking this on and doing more testing to get a bigger picture of what is happening, but I'm happy that I've achieved what I set out to get from the 998 power wise.

Yes, agreed entirely and I'm not really helping...... It's frustrating having all the engine/electronics etc. ready to go and still running into problems with the shell (more in my build thread over the weekend). However I think we have one more on board, he hasn't posted much yet but has most of the required parts and the rest is on its way from Jean (PCBs) and me (components) to get him started.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Graham T

604 Posts
Member #: 1106
Post Whore

Hungerford, Berks

As Rod says, you have one more on board but, but I'm Just taking my time and trying to get it all in my head before I make too much of a mess of things..

’77 Clubman build thread
http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=618189

Siamese 5 port EFI testing
http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=611675

Ben H

3329 Posts
Member #: 184

Melton Mowbray, Pie Country

All looks good to me Paul. That is a great torque curve you have there.

Another good NMS review, lets hope the TT gets on well next friday. If you are around in the morning pop over. (this is obviously NOT an open invitation to anybody)

http://www.twin-turbo.co.uk
http://www.hillclimbandsprint.co.uk/default.asp

A man without a project is like a like a woman without a shopping list.

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

Aww! We all wanted to come and sample the burger van's delights again *smiley*

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

That is a great torque curve indeed. What I find impressive is that your computations are for a 95% VE which I find impressive for a 5-port head. And since the numbers seem to match it must be close to that.

If we can confirm that inlet temperature dependency with other setups and that it is related to wall wetting, there might be a way to modify the EAE code to take that into consideration and adjust the inner and outer pulse widths or the single pulse timing accordingly. I'll have to think about how this could be tuned.

Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

well done! :)

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

Good stuff Paul,

the power curve looks a hell of a lot cleaner now :)

any idea what that glitch it where the tps hits 105%?

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 6th Nov, 2009 mini13 said:
Good stuff Paul,

Yes, 6 degrees more advance and it's much cleaner, but still not perfect.

That glitch at 105% TPS is Acceleration Enrichment. It can be tuned out once I've worked out how to do it.

The torque curve is nice and flat till I get to 5700rpm and then drops away. That could be due to the bog standard head casting and 31/25mm valves.

apbellamy

16540 Posts

Time to invest in a better head then Paul *smiley*

*hehe!*

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

really?

why does everying thing spike at that point, i would have guesed at noise on the earths, the MAT signal goes mental.

On 6th Nov, 2009 mini13 said:
Good stuff Paul,

Yes, 6 degrees more advance and it's much cleaner, but still not perfect.

That glitch at 105% TPS is Acceleration Enrichment. It can be tuned out once I've worked out how to do it.

The torque curve is nice and flat till I get to 5700rpm and then drops away. That could be due to the bog standard head casting and 31/25mm valves.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

.77 lambda? bit more area under the curve to come there paul ,but much nicer plot for power .
one point , i thought you were of the 've cant be higher than 85 to 89 %', whereas fab and i were of the 90 to 95% point of view ..whence the change ?sure we had a discussion on this somewhere on here ?

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Home > Paul S trials and testing > Another Rolling Road Log
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: