Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > FAQ / Knowledge > Mini Turbo Engine Recommendations

Advantage

1137 Posts
Member #: 1450
Post Whore

Near Paris - France

That is very good.

A ball-park for psi in each application would be great too but as it is tied to the IC and head work probably not easy to render

Rusty by nature

On 23rd Jun, 2008 paul wiginton said:

They said "That sounds rough mate." I said "Cheers it cost me a fortune to make it sound like that!"

chominsh

289 Posts
Member #: 8160

, mitcham, surrey, london, cr4

i think there should be more upgrades to gearbox to survive with 175!

I would love to know exactly what they are :)

thanks

Edited by chominsh on 7th Jul, 2010.

Nothing special!

poida97

8 Posts
Member #: 7307

Sydney, Australia

Very helpful table. I'm speccing my K1200RS build and it's comforting to see that the parts I'm pricing up are in the 150-175hp range (eg Cast omegas, balanced & wedged crank, balanced std rods), even though I won't be adding a turbo until later on.

A couple of thoughts though:

I'm unsure about the centre main strap or 4 bolt cap. I have heard negative comments about having to machine the top of the cap flat to accommodate the strap, and some have questioned the need for any upgrade at all - some discussion at www.ausmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6745

I know this is a turbo site, but I'd be interested to see a similar thing for the N/A motors - partly because I'm not going the turbo route straight away, and secondly due to the relationship between HP and RPM.
I guess the question is, would a N/A motor making 150hp at 7500rpm need a similar spec to a turbo unit making the same power at 6000rpm? Obviously the NA motor would need its strength in a very different way to the FI motor.

Cheers,
Anthony

*edit - typo

Edited by poida97 on 7th Jul, 2010.

just_jack

545 Posts
Member #: 2928
Post Whore

peterborough

cant seem to get this link open, any ideas guys?

Jack Jones

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

http://www.ausmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6745

(wasn't entered right in post above)

BTW, Anthony, there was a very similar debate on this forum recently....

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=365914

Edited by Rod S on 17th Oct, 2010.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

boostjunkie

296 Posts
Member #: 9117

Northampton

good pdf thanks answers lots of noob questions *wink*

Confessed addiction to everything mini

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

What power levels do people start breaking conventional straight cut gears at, and then make the move to dog boxes? The use will be fast road/track days/ drag racing so will be getting stick.

It strikes me that conventional gearsets seem to be reliable up to about 200hp, after that nothing is guaranteed. Especially as Ron Totalled a couple of gearsets in very quick succession.

So, what power did you break yours at?

Essentially If I will be limited by the gear set to how much power the engine can produce with the 16v head and the turbo I will up the cr, fit a 6 inch rod and some short height pistons to help make the engine a bit more rev friendly.

Cheers.

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

Home > FAQ / Knowledge > Mini Turbo Engine Recommendations
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: