Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > General Chat > SC 5 Port EFI testing...the results are in....interesting!

manifold

203 Posts
Member #: 1734

Lancaster

Neat looking throttle bodies and tubes. These I am guessing are made by AT Power, same as the DCOE throttle bodies I've got for my KAD head. http://www.atpowershop.co.uk

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 27th Nov, 2010 Coupe said:
My point here is that after about 2500 miles of abuse I had killed the head gasket (looked like one of the bad 450's that were about at the time), so when I whipped off the head to check it, I had a good look at what had been going on with the engine as I had already discussed the system with Paul S and he had explained his concerns to me. All cylinders were equally black with carbon deposits which I expected (I had been running at 11.5:1 to 12:1 on boost to be on the safe side), and after a quick clean up, there was no damage at all to valves, pistons, head chambers, or infact anything at all. The whole thing looked just like the day I picked up the brand new engine. All spark plugs and exhaust ports were also equally black and sooty, with no signs of any running lean.

Just my tuppence worth.

Mark, I can't remember your power figures but i have a distinct recollection that they were seriously down from carburetted engines running 18 psi on the same spec engine/turbo/head/cam.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

On 27th Nov, 2010 johnK said:
Paul - you need a head with more flow capacity than the carb can deliver to make more power! (ie more valves or more ports!)

Air flow is only half of the equation; you need the right amount of fuel also. Otherwise what you're saying is that a cylinder at 15:1 AFR will make the same power as one at 13:1.

So unless you can have the maximum power from all cylinders, you're not getting the maximum power from the airflow the head has.

Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

cossierick

3074 Posts
Member #: 1348
Post Whore

wakefield West Yorks

I dont understand the reason to shoot john down, am sure he doesnt go on to slag the siamese code off, now i no nothing about injection/siamese code etc but it seams john has made a kit for the market, and if it works then so be it, why should it matter. If its an alternative to a carb and works better then so be it.
As coupe says dave walker did a midget and theres also graham's green turbo'ed 998cc mini.

I do however think that john should back things up to show it acctually works rather than just saying it does, but as he is a buisiness then am sure the main tecnical issues will be kept close to his chest, and thats his rite.

Rick

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

On 27th Nov, 2010 cossierick said:
I dont understand the reason to shoot john down, am sure he doesnt go on to slag the siamese code off, now i no nothing about injection/siamese code etc but it seams john has made a kit for the market, and if it works then so be it, why should it matter. If its an alternative to a carb and works better then so be it.
As coupe says dave walker did a midget and theres also graham's green turbo'ed 998cc mini.

The issue is the dismissal of technical issues without data to back it up.

If someone were to come with a nice shiny replacement T3 and say that his version is better because of some actual improvement, there would certainly be comments about the fact that there are much better alternatives. And if this person was to dismiss these and say that his setup works then there would be more questions.

I know my example is far fetched but hopefully illustrates my point. I don't think it's anything personal and definitely not an issue of mine's better than yours but the question that facts are dismissed without anything to back it up other than experience and reputation, at least nothing that has been presented.

And I certainly welcome any comments on what has been done on the siamese code front. Anything that can help improve the code or how it is used can only be a good thing. Even if it's negative but as long as it's based on measurable facts.

Jean

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I do not think that we're shooting John down.

My problem is that these statements infered that SC had solved the siamese problem:

On 26th Nov, 2010 johnK said:
The Weber set up worked really well with this engine spec but fuel distrubution wasn't gread, EGT's were up to 150°C different between the two outside cylinders and the middle one - siamese ports doing their best to spoil the party. Running a 296 cam under dyno load meant the Weber would just pull full throttle from 3000rpm, any lower than this and it wasn't happy at anything much over part throttle - certainely no more than 50% would stop it dead.

The EFI set up on the other hand with Simon pulling the 5 port into line kept EGT's within 30°C of the outer pairs and the inner pair under full load conditions - even closer whilst doing the part throttle load sites.

Now, I'm a big fan of SC. They some some of the best engines and kit on the Mini scene. The billet 7 port is a work of shere brilliance.

BUT to the unfamiliar, those statements are somewhat misleading. I think you can see by the reactions above, that many thought that this was something that they could use with a turbo/supercharger.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

johnK

1425 Posts
Member #: 690
Post Whore

Norfolk

Regarding EGT's - my big mistake, we did have 30°C difference between inner /outer but this was part load conditions at low/mid rpm range, at high rpm and loads we had a 120°C difference between cylinders -very sorry for starting a whole thing off which could have been avoided, too quick to post and too tired sorry. The Weber ran around 80°C difference at part load conditions.

I'll only post developments on here that work if the EFI hadn't worked I maybe wouldn't have brought it up here - we don't operate like many tuners and we certainly don't make false claims for our products - they do what they are supposed to do - we do have morals and stick to them - we use very calibrated engine and chassis dyno's which does us no favours as they tend to read lower than others out there - but we won't lie. Thanks for the kind comments and hope you enjoy the vide's when we get them pulled together.

We are quite happy to dyno (engine or chassis)these systems on engines if a customer wants to - please bear this in mind if you want to see first hand how they perform.

A little more information, the injectors we have placed for this kit are 440cc and will prove ideal for all n/a applications we were running continuous pulses to keep the atomisation as "fogged" as possible - again the video will show this. On this engine we were running 75% duty on the injectors so well within capability, part throttle work still allowed reasonable inejctor timings to keep the "fog" going - which worked really well for torque generation. The throttle body is a 50mm "shaftless design - so the cross section are of something like a conventional bladed 52mm throttle. For small bore engines we will probably offer a 44mm or smaller version

manifold - correct - take a look at their bundle deals and you'll see they all include the SC Typhoon ecu - we work very closely together

JK

If Carling made Mini engines
it would probably be like this one!

johnK

1425 Posts
Post Whore

Norfolk

Induction length - the first page pics has in order:-

very short straight stub for silicon hose type attachment

short ram pipe - constant curve on inside to large dia lip

medium length ram pipe - tapers from 50mm to 55mm at the end with very large ram pipe

very long ram pipe - 50mm all the way down its length

Now I'll put my hand up here and thought the little straight stub would be useless - wrong! it mathed the top end of the Weber but lost a few lb/ft to it in the mid range! ok we thought straight onto the "medium" length runner - this will sort it out! - errr no, it made more torque around 3000-4000 but then the torque bombed like a switched off light! We did re check this several times! So to prove a point we put the very long inlet on it to see if the tuned length would come back. Uber torque at 2500/3000 rpm - like 100lb/ft - masively strong, then it died like a blown out candle as well! So some quick machining overnight on Thursday by Jon's brother Paul netted us the short ram pipe. This matched the top end of the Weber at slightly earlier rpm and pulled the torque up at the bottom end from where the little straight stub lost out! To see if any shorter was better we pulled the induction back to just the throttle body itself but this didn't give any gains at the bottom or top - phew any shorter and we wouldn't have a throttle body!

JK

n.g.l.

370 Posts
Member #: 181

Chard, Somerset

Good work John. Reminds me of Nigel Browns set up using a Jenvey throttle body, a couple of RC 650cc injectors and Polestar management.

Could yor set up be turbo'ed?

Dave.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 27th Nov, 2010 johnK said:
Induction length - the first page pics has in order:-

very short straight stub for silicon hose type attachment

short ram pipe - constant curve on inside to large dia lip

medium length ram pipe - tapers from 50mm to 55mm at the end with very large ram pipe

very long ram pipe - 50mm all the way down its length

Now I'll put my hand up here and thought the little straight stub would be useless - wrong! it mathed the top end of the Weber but lost a few lb/ft to it in the mid range! ok we thought straight onto the "medium" length runner - this will sort it out! - errr no, it made more torque around 3000-4000 but then the torque bombed like a switched off light! We did re check this several times! So to prove a point we put the very long inlet on it to see if the tuned length would come back. Uber torque at 2500/3000 rpm - like 100lb/ft - masively strong, then it died like a blown out candle as well! So some quick machining overnight on Thursday by Jon's brother Paul netted us the short ram pipe. This matched the top end of the Weber at slightly earlier rpm and pulled the torque up at the bottom end from where the little straight stub lost out! To see if any shorter was better we pulled the induction back to just the throttle body itself but this didn't give any gains at the bottom or top - phew any shorter and we wouldn't have a throttle body!

JK

This is timely information as I've been studying optimum runner length this week:

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...tid=316739&fr=0

Working with the Engleman modified Helmholtz Resonator theory, the optimum total length of runner from inlet valve to bell lip would be around 400mm for that engine. That's based on 150mm length at 50mm bore and 250mm length at 30mm bore, or equivalent, giving an average bore diameter of 38.7mm.

Any longer than 400mm and the pulses would start to work against you.

Edited by Paul S on 27th Nov, 2010.

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Paul can you clarify this statement for me?

On 27th Nov, 2010 Paul S said:
I think you can see by the reactions above, that many thought that this was something that they could use with a turbo/supercharger.

I'm going to run suck through supercharger (not ideal, I know). So I will have a carb on the supercharger inlet. So what is stopping me putting one of John's injection units on in place of the carb? In my mind, I have the opportunity to map the fuel injection to give me the optimum setup for my engine, in terms of economy and throttle response. In my mind this better than a carb or am I missing something?

I'm not trying to create the ultimate A series, just an engine that will be fairly quick.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Would meassuring EGT at the down pipes of the LCB not be a closer resemblance to each other?

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

On 27th Nov, 2010 Sprocket said:
Would meassuring EGT at the down pipes of the LCB not be a closer resemblance to each other?

But then you'd have to take into account any cooling of the gases which would also likely not be the same for all cylinders and not the same for all running conditions.

Jean

johnK

1425 Posts
Post Whore

Norfolk

Paul - interesting - the port size (in the head back to the valve to) is 36mm through to the area in the manifold where the runners meet then its 50mm from there out past the throttle- what does the calc say based on that? I'll measure the centre line of the manifold to get a true length next week as well.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 27th Nov, 2010 apbellamy said:

I think you can see by the reactions above, that many thought that this was something that they could use with a turbo/supercharger.

I'm going to run suck through supercharger (not ideal, I know). So I will have a carb on the supercharger inlet. So what is stopping me putting one of John's injection units on in place of the carb? In my mind, I have the opportunity to map the fuel injection to give me the optimum setup for my engine, in terms of economy and throttle response. In my mind this better than a carb or am I missing something?

I'm not trying to create the ultimate A series, just an engine that will be fairly quick.

Great solution for a suck through.

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

So does that mean I'm not a numpty in this particular situation (I remain open minded about most other situations *wink*)?

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

So does that mean I'm not a numpty in this particular situation (I remain open minded about most other situations *wink*)?

I'll have to think about that *happy*

george91

1083 Posts
Member #: 8932
Post Whore

Great work, if it can deliver the same power with better drivability win win. look forward to the FI potenial too.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 27th Nov, 2010 n.g.l. said:
Could yor set up be turbo'ed?
Dave.

On 27th Nov, 2010 george91 said:
Great work, if it can deliver the same power with better drivability win win. look forward to the FI potenial too.

You see what I mean?

More clarity required as to the intended use.

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

I recon it will be much better than the carb setup on our installation esp on overrun and sudden hard acceleration..

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

george91

1083 Posts
Member #: 8932
Post Whore

On 27th Nov, 2010 george91 said:
You see what I mean? More clarity required as to the intended use.

I have to admit Paul i didn't really bother reading the whole thread first time, and out of ignorance i haven't paid much notice to fuel injection. Now i've had a read, i realise the issue with blow through type FI using a 5 port head with regard to port balancing problem. feel a bit stupid. :$

Edited by george91 on 28th Nov, 2010.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Well, at the risk of being accused of seeing fog in an empty dish, here are the runner length calcs, based on approx lengths for now:

Coupe

998 Posts
Member #: 2178
Post Whore

Leyland, Lancs

On 27th Nov, 2010 Coupe said:
My point here is that after about 2500 miles of abuse I had killed the head gasket (looked like one of the bad 450's that were about at the time), so when I whipped off the head to check it, I had a good look at what had been going on with the engine as I had already discussed the system with Paul S and he had explained his concerns to me. All cylinders were equally black with carbon deposits which I expected (I had been running at 11.5:1 to 12:1 on boost to be on the safe side), and after a quick clean up, there was no damage at all to valves, pistons, head chambers, or infact anything at all. The whole thing looked just like the day I picked up the brand new engine. All spark plugs and exhaust ports were also equally black and sooty, with no signs of any running lean.

Just my tuppence worth.

Mark, I can't remember your power figures but i have a distinct recollection that they were seriously down from carburetted engines running 18 psi on the same spec engine/turbo/head/cam.

You're absolutely right Paul, it was, but then my engine running it's previous setup with a carb was also well down on others, mainly due to my lack of setup experience. With the injection setup it ran the same sort of times on the drag strip as I ran with the carb, and that was with a poor map which I had rushed in order to get the car running. Had I spent more time on the map, and maybe done it on a dyne with someone who knew what they were doing, it would have made much more power.

In the end though I got fed up of messing about with it all, lost a bit of interest, ripped it all out and sold it all and stuck a K Series in and now it's my daily drive!

On 15th Jul, 2009 fastcarl said:
a breif struggle ensued but Will emerged the victor with a pair of undies in his possesion

On 21st Sep, 2009 apbellamy said:
No, but you did chuck your guts up over my front gate the Saturday before! You even managed to get a bit in your arm pit...

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 28th Nov, 2010 Coupe said:
Had I spent more time on the map, and maybe done it on a dyne with someone who knew what they were doing, it would have made much more power.

This is where we will have to disagree.

I strongly believe that, when using forced induction, unless you get the injection just right, i.e. timed port injection ala MPi, then you are better off with a carb.

Coupe

998 Posts
Member #: 2178
Post Whore

Leyland, Lancs

On 28th Nov, 2010 Paul S said:

On 28th Nov, 2010 Coupe said:
Had I spent more time on the map, and maybe done it on a dyne with someone who knew what they were doing, it would have made much more power.

This is where we will have to disagree.

I strongly believe that, when using forced induction, unless you get the injection just right, i.e. timed port injection ala MPi, then you are better off with a carb.

I honestly can't argue with that as obviously I can't prove otherwise! Either way, it was an interesting exercise for me and it worked as far as I was concerned.

You, Rod and Jean all know way more about this stuff than I, I just thought it was worth explaining my findings.

On 15th Jul, 2009 fastcarl said:
a breif struggle ensued but Will emerged the victor with a pair of undies in his possesion

On 21st Sep, 2009 apbellamy said:
No, but you did chuck your guts up over my front gate the Saturday before! You even managed to get a bit in your arm pit...

Home > General Chat > SC 5 Port EFI testing...the results are in....interesting!
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: