Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Frog - Re-spawned! *I'm Back Baby, and Castle Combe Sept 21*

daveg79

134 Posts
Member #: 9579
Advanced Member

Tadley, North Hampshire

So a bit of an update. Now finished most of the primer (red oxide followed by grey fast build) but re-planning the dashboard as removed the dash rail (weight saving!) so plan to spray this up the same colour. Also bought some sheet steel to manufacture a solid parcel shelf which is waiting to be done.

Well behind schedule now though, had a lot of business travel, and to make things worse, the local paint shop can’t match the colour (Paint Shop Products, Tadley), so I'm going to have to send of a sample for matching elsewhere. Took the boot hinges off tonight to send off tomorrow. Was originally planning track day at Abingdon on the 27th April, now more likely to slip to end of May.

Have second week of Easter off, so hoping to make lots of progress. Fingers crossed.

Picture below with the red oxide done. Grey is on now, but haven’t taken an updated picture. I'll post some over the Easter break.

My build thread: http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=440970

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

looking good. time is always a great issue!

Chalkie

1909 Posts
Member #: 9764
Post Whore

Northamptonshire.

I thought you had hit a rabbit and its brains had splatted all over the steering rack boot :(

P.s the attament picture didn't come with this quote, Good build! I like it *happy*

On 11th Sep, 2011 daveg79 said:
So been out in the Frog today after a week away, learning about it all the time. Getting used to the throttle and had no sign of the sticky brakes. Did have a poke around underneath and found a split steering gaiter, so need to get that fixed next week before the trip to Slark.

daveg79

134 Posts
Advanced Member

Tadley, North Hampshire

Nightmare. Apparently the hinges are too small to colour match so hit a dead end with my local paint shop. Ideas welcome!

AlexB
Site Admin

6263 Posts
Member #: 1
The boring bloke who runs this place.

Berkshire

Take the bootlid :)
I would avoid the paint place on Youngs, they're the guys that sold me the cans to do the wing.

daveg79

134 Posts
Advanced Member

Tadley, North Hampshire

I took the door! They matched to the same colour you had Alex, so I walked away. Said they needed something smaller to send away for a better match, but when I took the hinges, they said they were no good. I suggested the boot, as this is already off, but again they said it was no good. I figure they dont really want the work.

Going to try Pingewood Coachworks to see if they can get a match. Also PMd Tubo Tim to see if he has any idea on the paint history. Going to scan the web now for other ideas. I'm not going to go for a bad match, I've put in too much hard work! I have enough to be getting on with....

On 31st Mar, 2012 AlexB said:
Take the bootlid :)
I would avoid the paint place on Youngs, they're the guys that sold me the cans to do the wing.

AlexB
Site Admin

6263 Posts

Berkshire

Ha ha, at least you know it wasn't my fault now eh

daveg79

134 Posts
Advanced Member

Tadley, North Hampshire

So I haven't updated this in ages, finally finished the paint job in the Spring and got MOTd. Family stuff has taken over since then. Just a few pics with an update.

Paint job was finished with the near-match Chrysler colour. Turns out the actual colour was completely bespoke and would have cost a fortune to match. In the long term, I plan to replace the front end completely with GRP and then painting the rest should be a short job, so no great losses. New Oil temp gauge is fitted, dash recovered, light weight carpets in. Now looks a treat inside with the exception of the door cards (ran out of cash). Plans for those in the post below. Pics below obviously before seats, doors, windows and cage were refitted.

Edited by daveg79 on 13th Aug, 2012.

daveg79

134 Posts
Advanced Member

Tadley, North Hampshire

daveg79

134 Posts
Advanced Member

Tadley, North Hampshire

So noticed over the summer the Frog was getting a little warm blasting down the A303, so making cooling my next priority before a track day in October. New Performance 2 Core Mini Spares rad on the way and refitting a leaky water pump. Pics to follow.

Getting the cooling in a testing before plans to take the Frog off the road over the winter to spend the insurance money on parts instead. Mainly cosmetic still, repainting the roof and boot lid black, some racing decals, carbon fibre door cards, sliding rally windows. Will see if there's anything majorly mechanical comes out of the track day. I'm hoping not, although know the gearbox and diff could do with uprating, as I know they are standard *surprised* Was hoping to spend on suspension and setup instead.

daveg79

134 Posts
Advanced Member

Tadley, North Hampshire

Fitted Mini Spares Perfomance 2 Core radiator today, refitted leaky water pump (replaced incorrect bolts and replaced gasket, the unit itself was fine), new fan belt, and also fitted sexy new blue double layered silicone air ducting after the old single layer stuff was found to be full of holes. Cured the water leak and town cruising temps are good. Idle it gets a bit warm and would ideally use an electric fan, but as I plan to use for track / fast road, no real issue. Motorway test later in the week as I really want to see what it is like on prolonged boost. Also refilled with correct mixture of antifreeze and water, but after reading around it again, have ordered some "water wetter" and will drain the system and replace with plain water and this. I don't plan on winter running and the car is in the garage.

Can't fault Mini Spares for service, value and quality btw.

A few pics below

Parts removed, ready to fit.

Scrubbed up, ready to fit

Ready to fit, bolts included!

All in. See the blue sexiness! Air ducting was an absolute bee-hatch to fit though, not much room!

AlexB
Site Admin

6263 Posts

Berkshire

Looks (and sounds) great matey!

You zoomed past us this evening, at the bottom of Gutteridge lane. I think my words were "oh, awesome mini... oh it's my old one!"

*smiley*

daveg79

134 Posts
Advanced Member

Tadley, North Hampshire

Found with the motorway test that the mini was still getting a bit warm, and managed to pick up a second hand heater matrix radiator to fit, as recommended by Slark Race Engineering. I've now mounted this to the front of the subframe, albeit with cable ties only for now, but with some foam etc to protect against vibration. After motorway testing again everything looks good, and achieved much better cooling. Also switched to water wetter as planned.

I've also picked up a set of Revolution wheels. Much lighter then the Weller's and I personally prefer the metal outer and black inner. Centre caps will have to wait for now, too busy buying mechanical parts.

AlexB said he thought there was a sticking brake, which I've now also managed to trace to the front right caliper, so planning a rebuild / refurbishment of this in the next few weeks.

Track day is now booked for the 19th October, so very very excited, and pretty much ready to go. A few odds and ends to keep me busy in the garage in the evenings before then. It will be interesting to find the cars Achilles heel at this point.

A few pics below of the latest developments

New radiator in place, mounted in front of the starter. More room on the radiator side of the subframe, but decided better to dissipate the heat from the other side.

New Revolutions. Chuffed :)

Craigie-B

1492 Posts
Member #: 9468
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Beautiful!

Was gutted I couldnt afford this! One of my fav minis on here :)

On 10th Mar, 2012 theoneeyedlizard said:

Hypothetically speaking, where would you stick your nozzle?

On 22nd Jun, 2012 apbellamy said:
my wife doesn't know what.head is never mind compression ratio.

Turbo Tim

725 Posts
Member #: 177
Avon Park 2006 Class D Winner

Woburn Sands

nice to see my old car still looking good : )

16V project underway

daveg79

134 Posts
Advanced Member

Tadley, North Hampshire

Track day at Abingdon one week today. Brake calliper in bits, parts are here. Looked in good condition during disassembly, but decided a complete refurbishment with pistons and seals would be a good plan in any case.

Will try and post and update with readiness status before Friday, but big update after the track day is a certainty, hopefully without scars!

daveg79

134 Posts
Advanced Member

Tadley, North Hampshire

Track day at Abingdon one week today. Brake calliper in bits, parts are here. Looked in good condition during disassembly, but decided a complete refurbishment with pistons and seals would be a good plan in any case.

Will try and post and update with readiness status before Friday, but big update after the track day is a certainty, hopefully without scars!

Edited by daveg79 on 12th Oct, 2012.

AlexB
Site Admin

6263 Posts

Berkshire

Do you still have the old rad? wanna sell it?

daveg79

134 Posts
Advanced Member

Tadley, North Hampshire

So here's the calliper that was sticking. Turns out one of the 'wiper' seals was completely missing. Curious if anyone thinks this could have been the cause? All the other seals and pistons looked in good condition but replaced anyway.

Fingers crossed for a slightly dry day on Friday!

daveg79

134 Posts
Advanced Member

Tadley, North Hampshire

So, trackday complete.... gearbox exploded... brake calliper refurb and cooling upgrades hugely successful though :)

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=498853

***New jobs list for this winter***
Repair Gearbox (large bang, only 4th gear survived) COMPLETE
Replace wiring loom and fuse box to rear of vehicle (intermittent rear electrics, doesn't inspire confidence when braking!) COMPLETE
New Dipstick (leaps and and throws oil everywhere)
New wipers (passenger side made a bid for freedom whilst out on track) COMPLETE
Throttle cable (stretched and frayed and is making throttle control somewhat difficult) COMPLETE
Adjust height of throttle pedal (really must learn and perfect heel-toe)
Additional seat bolts (just seems sensible) COMPLETE
Welding to passenger foot well (it's a mini. It rusts)
CHeck and adjust brakes (handbrake no longer very useful. Suspect rear pad wear) COMPLETE
Intercooler mount (has sheared, before track day) COMPLETE
Replace clutch reservoir (slightly damaged, although not leaking. Again makes sense whilst the engine is out, and I already have a replacement) COMPLETE

Will probably repaint the engine bay whilst the engine is out as I have the paint and is something low cost I can do whilst saving for a new box.

***Other potential, but non essential jobs***
Rear wheel bearing (a little grease escaping)
Air intake (thinking of going for universal closed system, mounted / routed in passenger wing)
Auxiliary radiator mount (proved the principle on the track, something more elegant than cable ties for long term use)

I've already started preparation work for the engine removal job....

Edited by daveg79 on 7th Jul, 2013.

daveg79

134 Posts
Advanced Member

Tadley, North Hampshire

Commenced my side project to sort out a replacement gearbox....

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=502639

daveg79

134 Posts
Advanced Member

Tadley, North Hampshire

So, winter work now compete (albeit late!) and the Frog is now back on the road and MOTd. Upgrades/work completed as follows:

Rebuilt Gearbox with Minispares sc Clubman set, updated baulk rings, bearings, shafts and oil pickup.
Updated speedo gearing to calibrate with setup
Minispares Cross Pin differential. Currently running 3.1 CWP setup but have 3.4 if necessary.
Minispares straight cut drops
MED ST1 Ultralight clutch assembly
Turbo Oil Pump
Custom rear wiring updates, including complete new wiring loom, movement of fuel switch delay to dash, new LED high level brake light and blade fuse arrangement.
Refurbishment of front bulkhead, including rust and heatproof removal, rust treat, paint and installation of Zircoflex heat shield.
Cleaning of engine and painting of tatty ancillary parts.
KAD Quickshift and Gear leaver bias kit.
Revolution centre caps.
Replaced damaged clutch master cylinder.
Replaced wiper spindles.

Taxed, MOTd and insured (same price as last year!) and ready to roll! Planning for Abingbon Track Day on 9 August.

Ollie

524 Posts
Member #: 1380
Post Whore

Swindon

Good work! Get some pics up *smiley*

On 2nd Mar, 2008 joeybaby83 said:
neil_g, with all due respect, your the worse salesman on TM since rob_h tried to sell his own ass

daveg79

134 Posts
Advanced Member

Tadley, North Hampshire

Some final last minute preparations for my track day on the 9th August required a change of calipers as I sheared the threads in the calliper. All good with 7.5" Minispares 4 pots. Also have quite a bad oil leak, I suspect along the half moon seal. Going to have to get the engine out again at some point but not in a rush as the pressures are good and running soundly.

So, a couple of pics

Really pleased with how it went at Abingdon. The new gearbox is superb, although need to put in some effort to engage 2nd by overcoming the bias I have installed. This pic clearly shows its not cornering too level, but I intentionally didnt want to install any suspension upgrades at this time as I want to see how each upgrade improved the car. A rough measurement suggests all the cambers on the rear are positive and uneven all round the car, so no surprise handling is a bit of an issue. Glad I have 10 inchers on to be more forgiving. Full Minispares geometry package on the cards then.

Curtailed the day slightly early with some vibration on braking and left turns. I suspect a CV joint is expiring, so drive shafts coming off imminently for inspection.

On to Santa Pod. Was a 6 hour round trip, as picked up a mate from Rugby. Despite the dodgy CV, the Frog was faultless. So pleased with it. I think even AlexB was impressed. The day only spooky by seeing Paul Wiggintons mini on the way to collect my own.

Made a 16.22 at 86mph on the strip. Apparently AlexB did a 15.4, but in my defence I was taking it slightly steady with the CV and had the boost at 10psi, so not too shabby.

So, next plans? Noted lots of cars have breathers sorted out. I have a slight leak from my clutch end breather gasket (started a separate thread for this) and everything else vents to air. Also inspired to,sort out my air intake to inspire a bit more power. Finally I hope to sort out my ancillary rad mounting bracket, as I've proven the principle and generally want to tidy up the engine bay and maximise the area available for cooling as part of it was obscured by bodywork. Oh, and of course those suspension upgrades!

I did purchase a new dipstick at MITP Smiffy's bits as mine kept leaping out (very shiny!)

Turbo Tim

725 Posts
Member #: 177
Avon Park 2006 Class D Winner

Woburn Sands

good to see the old car and have a chat, she used to do 13.2

16V project underway

Home > Show Us Yours! > Frog - Re-spawned! *I'm Back Baby, and Castle Combe Sept 21*
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: