Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Track, Drag & Race > Abingdon Track Day - 19th October 2012

daveg79

134 Posts
Member #: 9579
Advanced Member

Tadley, North Hampshire

So, I was the only an turbo charged a-series at this track day, my first with the frog after purchasing it from AlexB just over 12 months ago (main thread liked below). Mightly impressed with it, and pleasantly surprised. Here are a few ramblings about the car and the event.

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...id=440970&fr=25

The day was open pitlane, so the format was three 'slow' sighter laps, three groups of ~15 minutes on track, then open pitlane all day. I had spent a fair amount on uprating the cooling system before the day, but knew that the gearbox was a little shaky, with 4th - 3rd a little crunchy. On the sighter laps, this was pretty apparent. This improved significantly once the oil was warmed up. I use Castrol Power 1 Racing Motorbike oil, as recommended by Opie. Oil temp was approximately 100degC at the sump was normal running. Car performed really well during the first session, with all temperatures and pressures good and giving several of the Caterhams something to think about, on the straights as well as the bends. Consequently the little frog got quite a bit of attention!

During the open pitlane sessions, I expected to find a weakness in the cooling or the brakes, but temperatures remained stable and I had no brake fade whatsoever. Rests were necessary only to recuperate myself, and for tea!

Unfortunately, the rain started to come down at the end of the session. The frog then got completely terrifying with horrendous torque steer and aquaplaning on the straights, although there was still lots of grip in the corners. Sadly however, the gearbox decided to expire right at the end of the session, leaving me with only fourth gear. I suspect a failed layshaft and have now started exploratory works to identify and rectify the problem.

Overall, the session, run my Motorsport Experiences, was well run, with a good balance between open running and robust marshalling. An excellent day out and I will definitely be returning once up and running again!

My build thread: http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=440970

AlexB
Site Admin

6264 Posts
Member #: 1
The boring bloke who runs this place.

Berkshire

Wish I could have made it - will be there next time *smiley*

madmk1

5417 Posts
Member #: 6181
Double hard bastard

brookwood woking

Looks like a good day out mate, I have run around there a few times its a big old place, do you get the whole runway to play on?

I have started posting on Instagram also my name on there is turbomk1golf

Nothing is impossible it just costs more and takes longer.

On 1st Nov, 2007 Ben H said:
There is no such thing as 'insignificant weight saving', it all adds up.

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

mmm gearbox's dont you hate them

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

wolfie

8215 Posts
Member #: 90
Post Whore

Somewhere around Swindon

looks a good day and only 20 miles up the road from me

Crystal Sound Audio said:

Why wolfie...you should have your name as Fuckfaceshithead !

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."-Douglas Adams

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Good skills. It's not a proper day out unless you break something expensive *smiley*

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

minimole23

4301 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

That'll be the input/layger stripped then.

It must be that time of the year. I totaled 3rd gear last month! Time for an SC box by the sound of it for you too.

Wonder if Minispares would do a deal on a group buy of clubman sets.

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

daveg79

134 Posts
Advanced Member

Tadley, North Hampshire

So if 3rd was dodgy before, could that have been the lay gear? What sort of carnage can I expect? I really don't want to have to invest in an sc box just yet, hopefully just repair this or at worst swap the box for a second hand. I know it's not a long term solution.

minimole23

4301 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

I'd just fork out for it, its a lot cheaper then keep rebuilding helical boxes when they explode, especially when you consider that you'll be talking at least £100 in bearings and gaskets each time.

How much damage you have done can vary. Mine 3rd gear explosion looked a lot worse than the picture below and peppered the engine in the process. My mates that failed in the picture below did not damage the engine from flying debris.

As you didn't switch it off immediately you will have scored the oil pump to shit so that will need replacing for a start.

If you are determined to use the helical set I will donate you the 45k 998 set from the box I'm building the sc set into, that will hold together for a short while anyway!

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

daveg79

134 Posts
Advanced Member

Tadley, North Hampshire

Urgh.

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

Whilst you have the engine off the gearbox, I would say it is essential at the very least to take the mains and big end caps off to check the crank and bearing shells. If it has shit all the teeth off a gear then there will have been lots of debris going around the oil system ready to scrap your bearings.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

Home > Track, Drag & Race > Abingdon Track Day - 19th October 2012
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: