Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > 998cc > 998 Turbo

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Hi,

I am about to emabrk on a 998 turbo project. This forum is a great source of info - just what I need.

I first read the Hugh McInnes book in the late seventies and thought it would be a good idea to see what power and economy you could get from turbocharging a small car. I then got into V8s and forgot about it.

Now I have teenage sons and two Minis in the drive, a 30 and a 35, its time dad got some playtime as well!

(Mod Edit - Moved to 998 section)

Edited by Tom Fenton on 7th Nov, 2005.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

AlexF2003

5795 Posts
Member #: 80
AFRacing LTD

Newbury, Berks

Hello and welcome...

why a 998 thou?

Most on here running a 998 are doing so for race class reasons!

Alex

AlexF

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

The challange for me is to get an economic everday road engine that has lots of power in reserve for when you need it.

The 998 is the smallest engine that you can get decent performance parts that will make it strong enough for a lot of boost.

If they did a 600cc A series, I would start with that!

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

adam1330

1014 Posts
Member #: 238
Post Whore

essex

why not use an 850cc then?

““A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.”” - Jeremy Clarkson

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I read the Vizard book about 25 years ago and having dug it out of my loft recently and read it again, got the distinct impression that the 850 does not lend itself to any serious mods. The lack of cam bearings, lubrication to the bottom bearings etc.

I will happily listen to anyone who can convince me otherwise.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Thanks for the good advice mini1071s.

This has given me some food for thought.

Neb

7 Posts
Member #: 2958

Concordia

Where could one find more info on the 850 crank in a 998?

It's in the works

PaulH

1346 Posts
Member #: 2340
Post Whore

Dublin Ireland

Holy post excavation batman

The the serch button is your friend

On 17th Feb, 2009 Rob H said:

I find the easiest way is to super glue the bolt to the end of one of my fingers.

Neb

7 Posts

Concordia

Bookmarked a over a year ago on an old computer that only works half the time. The subject came up on another forum... I was determined. It took about 3 days and tearing apart and rebuilding a laptop to find it. I've got a 998 setting in the garage wait for me to do something with it. Just searching for as much info on options of interest prior to starting.

It's in the works

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Blimey, my first post. Almost 4 years ago and I'm only just getting round to fitting the turbo.

There is some information on the 850 crank here:

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=255672

and here:

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=199572

Edited by Paul S on 1st Jun, 2009.

Neb

7 Posts

Concordia

Thanks for the references. I've been reading them slowly this afternoon. What are the benifits of the larger bore w/shorter throw? I know higher revs but is that where you get the boost in mpg? And my last question for now. Wouldn't your torque and hp figures drop, at least in low end RPM? If I just need to keep reading that's not a problem. I have a habit of jumping the gun.

It's in the works

Ben H

3329 Posts
Member #: 184

Melton Mowbray, Pie Country

The same rules apply to a turbo motor as a N/A. So longer stroke = more torque, less revs. As a general rule.

What you have to ask yourself is what do you want the engine for? Is it everyday car, a race car, a track day car. This will determine what spec you need. Unless that is you desperately want a day to day car that is undrivable and unreliable.

IMO using the 850 crank is not needed. Unless you desperatly need to do it for a race class. There is plenty of power to be got from the 998 crank.

http://www.twin-turbo.co.uk
http://www.hillclimbandsprint.co.uk/default.asp

A man without a project is like a like a woman without a shopping list.

Home > 998cc > 998 Turbo
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: