Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > 998Ti - St2

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Finally scrapping the old dear *crying*

In it's prime:

All the good bits, apart from the engine are going on my new car *happy*

Edited by Paul S on 7th Oct, 2014.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Shame to see it go, I would have had the shell if I hadn't already bought one recently.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Yes, sad but it's been sitting in the garden since the Smart RR Day. When was that?, 2010?

With two other Minis with fixed shells waiting on finishing, I've no reason to keep it.

I'll be offering the shell for sale for little more than beer tokens in the near future.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

It's a shame to see it go especially seeing what you achieved with it

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Well nothings lost as it will all be carried through to the new car.

Long serving members will probably remember this car that I part prepared for one of the lads back in 2009. It has sat in the back of the barn since then.

Got it out and gave it a clean:

Fixed up the door frames and fitted new skins:

The engine and box are ready to go in. It's the latest development of the 998 Turbo. More boost, bigger turbo, ported head, tuned length manifolds and more revs should make some decent power.

Engine Spec:
998 block bored +0.020" (1015cc)
Hypatech pistons with buttons
Lightened and shot peaned rods
Wedged, hardened and balanced crank
VP2 bearings
Alloy/alloy duplex
Custom ground scatter cam
DSN timing cover
MED damper pulley with 35-1 toothed wheel
1.3:1 Roller rockers
Modified 1275 steel backed oil pump
Ported 12G295 head with 33/29 valves, bronze guides 9:1 CR
GT1752 Turbocharger
Stainless remote turbo manifold
Stainless inlet manifold/plenum - 4*800cc/min injectors
SC box/drops & 4 pin diff. 3.1:1 Diff ratio.
Lightweight verto flywheel with RTS Verto clutch
Coil nr Plug ignition
MS3/3X - timed/staged injection - gear based boost control - traction control - water injection control - knock sensing.
Triple Widebands - Inner/Outer cylinders via sample chambers.

Taking the front subframe from the old car as it has the adjustable suspension setup. I might change the rear subframe, but the I might just move the Hi-Los over.

Paint job is going to be black with red and white graphics based on my pedal bike *smiley*

Edited by Paul S on 13th Jan, 2017.

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

Looking forward to the new build thread Paul!

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

So, do you think that this paint job can be transferred to a car?

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

Not always my taste but it would be interesting to see how the graphic designer types would transfer that to the car. Perhaps some sort of wrap?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I don't mean to paint the bike on the car. Just use the general idea of black with red stripes and white details.

giannoutsos

166 Posts
Member #: 8952
Advanced Member

Athens Greece

I think it ll work fine, that is a sweet bike!
John

carl talbot

326 Posts
Member #: 1323

good to see you doing the cars again

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

It should work well. Black wheels and red centres... Nice.

It will be good to see the power of the new motor

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

Thats not what i meant! Just that the graphic guys could apply some of the colour accents to bits of the car we wouldn't usually do on a mini?

On 19th May, 2014 Paul S said:
I don't mean to paint the bike on the car. Just use the general idea of black with red stripes and white details.

Rammie2000

1750 Posts
Member #: 10190
Post Whore

belgium

That sonde on the diff is that for a rev counter?

you can do anything if you set your mind to it...
i rather blow it up winning than keep it together losing.

finish date set for project 1... march 2018

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

Traction control I would hazard a guess at Rammie.

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

It's a vehicle speed sensor and you have just reminded me that I need to fit a sensor on a rear wheel so that I can use the traction control feature in the ECU. Thanks.

I'm erring towards a white roof and red/white graphics across the rear quarter and door on a black background.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Crappy weather means that I'm in the garage instead of on holiday riding my bike *frown*

A bit of progress, engine and front subby out and a quick cosmetic tidy around the engine bay.

Needs another coat of paint, but that'll do.

I've removed the steady bracket as the remote turbo downpipe needs that space, plus I want to route the clutch hydraulics away from the heat. PDWA will also be located on the bulkhead.

Chalkie

1909 Posts
Member #: 9764
Post Whore

Northamptonshire.

Been busy again I see that dude looking good (y)

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Started on the bodywork:

Lots of sanding and filling followed by rust inhibitor, etch primer and first coat of high-build primer.

Also primed the doors.

Next, dealing with all the minor imperfections, another coat of primer, then top coats.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Getting the paint on *smiley*

1st coat of colour:

Now 3 coats:

Not perfect but not looking for a show finish.

Following the BENROSS guide here:
http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=9446

Tomorrow, flat it back and apply the finish coats using high gloss thinners.

Chalkie

1909 Posts
Member #: 9764
Post Whore

Northamptonshire.

Looking good dude!

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Tidying up the rest of the bodywork:

Drive busy today:

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

Your fairly getting on with this.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Yes, just realised it only a months or so since I dragged it out from the back of the barn.

We had been working on the 30 to get it mobile. Once it could be driven in and out of the barn with ease (seats fitted), then space became available to work on this one.

We've also got Sturgeo's Racing Flame sitting on my ramp since I welded it up 3 years ago. That's next years 250hp project.

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Nice to see some progress.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

Home > Show Us Yours! > 998Ti - St2
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password: