Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > 998Ti - St2

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Yes, I'm surprised as well. I'm using the VR circuit input as recommended by the MS Manuals.

Just looking at the logs and it seems to happen at 2400 rpm +/- 25 rpm. Very strange.

I may have too many sensors running off TPSref 5v. TPS, Cam and Crank. I might shift it to the switched 12v before I change the sensor.

We seem to have gone off at a tangent again... different car and different engine we are now talking about.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 29th Sep, 2014 Paul S said:
We seem to have gone off at a tangent again... different car and different engine we are now talking about.

Yes, I've lost count of all your projects.

What are you getting in the "reason" cells in the data log. That number is usually a good pointer to the problem. There is a table, very well hidden, on the MS-E forums that explains the number written into that cell which can often be useful.

Personally I would doubt if it was the 5V Vref supply, the regulator on the standard motherboard is well up to the job even with lots of extra sensorss added.

The "reason" code should, hopefully, point you in the right direction.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

The reason is No. 2 - missing tooth when not expected.

That's why I said it was missing a tooth now and again *smiley*

I'm going to have a look for something physical happening. Run it at 2400rpm on the drive. Flappy fan belt hitting the bracket or possibly some resonance in the bracket itself. Also run the tooth logger to see if it is a particular tooth.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Latest:

Fuel and water injection pipes are in, rear sub-frame is back on - starting to feel the enthusiasm again *smiley*

Next job is to put the engine and front subframe back.

Just sorted out the ECU wiring:

There are 2 looms, one for the base MS3 on the right which is mainly sensor inputs and one for the MS3X on the left which is mainly injector and ignition outputs plus all the fancy bits. Also pictured is a 12' length of all the MS3X wires.

The loom on the left was put together to test the MS3X install in the old car, so has most of what is needed. I just need to add cables for the Water Injection, Boost Control, Tacho output and 2 Vehicle Speed Sensors.

I've put all 8 injector output wires in already for some reason, which is good as that means it is already prepared for the individual pulse per cylinder injection strategy *smiley*

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Purpose of the previous exercise was to work out what connectors and wiring stuff I needed to order as I need to get the connectors fitted to the sensors on the engine before it goes in.

This lot turned up today:

Ready to build a snake pit now *smiley*

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Back to the bodywork today.

Made some vent holes in an attempt to get more air flow through the engine bay. Also a bit of a relief in the inner wing for the downpipe.

Now I can put the front subframe back in and work out the routing of the brake pipes away from the exhaust heat.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Engine in today:

Turbo and downpipe fit OK. Biggest issue is that my intercooler plan will not work *frown*

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

What manifold have you gone for?

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Like this:

But the plenum will be the one off the old car, with subtle modifications.

danb41

562 Posts
Member #: 9285
Post Whore

Oxfordshire

What was/ is the plan intercooler wise?

My build thread: http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=454802

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/85313398@N02/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I've got a nice twin pass intercooler off a Peugeot 307. I thought that it would fit between the grill and the transfer case, but it wont. So then the inlet and outlet are all wrong *frown*

Current thinking is to fabricate a new end tank and branches but that means welding the aluminium, which I dread.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

The engine bay is starting to fill up:

Managed to find a decent size intercooler that will fit behind the Mk1 grill :)

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

paul, are you porting the head for this engine?

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Turbo Phil did the head for me about 3-4 years ago. 33/29 valves and a bit of porting.

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

excellent

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

Looking good

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Plumbing job nearly done :) It' all hidden behind the grill.

Need to work on the pipe over the top of the turbo, needs a few more degrees in the angle but getting there.

Edited by Paul S on 21st Dec, 2014.

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

Looks great!

Yo-Han

967 Posts
Member #: 3228
Post Whore

North of the Netherlands

Good effort!

Dazed and Confused....

Yo-Han

967 Posts
Member #: 3228
Post Whore

North of the Netherlands

Good effort!

Dazed and Confused....

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

looking the usual spanky product...its a shame there isnt some sort of super low profile thermostat housing,so you could sneak the pipe over to the plenum on that side ,then pop the turbo pipe into the ic on the drivers side .

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

It would not be a problem taking it that way and I nearly did but for a whole raft of reasons not too, which in hindsight were probably not that significant.

I think the main problem was finding 135 degree reducer to fit between the turbo and IC. Also the plenum already has the inlet on that side and I need room to fit the dump valve and TB.

The next one, the 1293 EFi Turbo, will have it the other way.

Edited by Paul S on 21st Dec, 2014.

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

Looks the nuts

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Tidy

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

In other news, we are working on Sturgeo's Racing flame. He's moved out and left this in our way, so Axel has decided to finish it for him so we can make room for the MG Midget.

So, trying to fit this:

Into this:

*smiley*

The 998 and front subby are now out and we are tidying the bodywork ready to take a rebuilt subby with adjustable 'spension before fiting the motor.

Bodywork has been tubbed, a bit of lightening and prepared for a 6 point cage.

Home > Show Us Yours! > 998Ti - St2
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: