Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Non-Mini Discussion > A35 ON TRACK

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

I have been persuaded to put the Blue blobule on the track so today I rose at 3.30 a m. and drove to Cadwell with the car on a trailer. Four hours later I arrived to find the circuit shrouded in thick fog and a wet track.

Sighting laps were eventually conducted with much slipping and sliding around and a particularly scary moment went the back let go just leaving Charlies 2 on to the main straight.

Sun soon came out on this day of record Halloween temperatures and a book was running on how long it would be before the first red flag. I should explain that this was a trackday, with the usual eclectic collection all the way from a BMW 540 to a turbo Micra, with all the usal Subarus, Clios etc mixed in.10 minutes is the answer.
The A35 was the oldest car there and I was the oldest driver - combined age of car and driver 125 years.

Car was perfectly behaved, was able to out accelerate a lot of modern cars but rather pathetically slow on corners so I did see some blue flags ! Took a racer friend out in the car and he was surprised how well it went, but rather worried about the instability, which I am completely used to.

Another friend took all the photos which I am awaiting and if they show me in a good light I may post some.

It is a long old drag back home so I drove around 390 miles with the trailer and perhaps another 40/50 on track between 3.30 a .m. and 6.45 p.m. so I am now getting outside a bottle of Shiraz and looking for an early night.

Jimster
Site Admin

9401 Posts
Member #: 58
455bhp per ton
12 sec 1/4 mile road legal mini

Sunny Bridgend, South Wales

Good stuff Dave , put a few to shame, cracking stuff

Team www.sheepspeed.com Racing

On 15th May, 2009 TurboDave said:

I think the welsh one has it right!

1st to provide running proof
of turbo twinkie in a car and first to
run a 1/4 in one!!

Is your data backed up?? directbackup.net one extra month free for all Turbo minis members, PM me for detials

danb41

562 Posts
Member #: 9285
Post Whore

Oxfordshire

Look forward to some photos!

My build thread: http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=454802

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/85313398@N02/

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

Sounds like a good day. Looking forward to seeing the photos.

What sort of reaction did the car get from the other drivers?

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

*happy*

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

welshdan

2095 Posts
Member #: 1111
Post Whore

s wales

Good work!!

BENROSS

9812 Posts
Member #: 332
Resident Cylinder Head Modifier

Mitsi Evo 7, 911, Cossie. & all the chavs ...... won no problem

lots of pics would compliment your excellent writeup dave, cant wait

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Best reaction of the day was from the noise testers - "We don,t care what it sounds like, just get it out there "

Most people were intrigued by such a standard looking car which went pretty well.

Ran 12 psi boost all day and was pleasantly surprised that it seemed to survive, despite being on full boost and throttle for the majority of the time.

After an eight lap session with a passenger I came in and let it idle for a while to let the turbo cool, switched off and it boiled. This is the first time it has ever overheated but I guess it was just heat soak. Cooled down and refilled my first thoughts were, of course, head gasket, but another session on track did not throw up any problems.

I must tell you that the other A35 there with my good friends who race it did a 1.50 lap which is probably about 20 seconds faster than me !

Pics when I receive them -but thanks for the reaction

robert

6744 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

excellent david ,well done.. true fortitude .im looking forward to getting it on the dyno (when i finish the 2nd half) and turning it up a bit .

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Looking forward to pics!

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

theoneeyedlizard

7263 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Brilliant stuff Dave. I bet it was great fun. Also looking forward to pics.

In the 13's at last!.. Just

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Trying to post a video - lets see what happens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVCWb_k2g8A

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

My earlier reference to a lap time was incorrect as I was confusing this event with a different one so please ignore the comment.

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

Seems to pull really well in every gear!

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

cossierick

3074 Posts
Member #: 1348
Post Whore

wakefield West Yorks

Absolutely loved it.

Superb !!

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

So you're bombing round the track in your Porshe Boxtor and see an A35 in your mirrors, next thing it's past you and away; so you pack up and go home because you bought the wrong car *smiley*

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

I know and those Boxster's handle well and have a load of grip!

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

evad1980

1142 Posts
Member #: 10165
Post Whore

Stansted, Essex

Agreed... thats pretty awesome!

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Haha that was a good vid! Looked to catch pretty much everything, that track looks really good! Only track close to me is snetterton

oli79

1713 Posts
Member #: 8480
MS Paint flat cap champion & Morris Ital Lover

From Sheffield now live in York tha noz

Fantastic!

On 18th Oct, 2013 apbellamy said:
I am feeling particularly BACish today.

On 5th Oct, 2014 Shauna said:
What that's crazy, you go commando hahaha! How heavy is your helmet *tongue*?

The Morris Ital assassin!

steve1275

852 Posts
Member #: 951
Post Whore

Bromsgrove

Brilliant David,well done. I love the way you attacked the mountain,using quite a lot of kerb at times.... *Clapping* *Clapping*

'Where does the engine go?'

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Why am i so surprised it handles and shifts like that?, David a truly awesome video

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Come on guys you didn,t really think that was me, did you ?

That was a good friend who has the road legal (taxed and MOT) A35 racer and was there with me and the blobule on the day.

We were out both at the same time but he is a proper racer and that vid does not do justice to how he does attack the corners. I was a lot slower on the corners but not too much slower in a straight line, which meant that I did hold up a few until the straights.

The racer friend sat beside me in my car and gave me some useful advice, but even on a dry track the rear lacked grip and was letting go too easily.

The Porsche was a pussy but the two Subarus were also fairly easy for Tom to overtake and that TR7 was a V8 !

The yellow Suzuki in the vid came to me in the paddock and said he couldn,t stay with me,so I felt quite chuffed.

This was my first track day on four wheels although I have done dozens on bikes and I know Cadwell very well indeed which helps a lot. Can,t wait to do it again.

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

On 1st Nov, 2014 tadge44 said:
Come on guys you didn,t really think that was me, did you ?

i did actually wonder about the white square on the bonnet but thought it was something you had added, im even more surprised there is another a35 so similar to yours

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Haha so were we all stupid n see him overtake you in the vid or something aswell?

Home > Non-Mini Discussion > A35 ON TRACK
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: