Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > No or very little oil pressure

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

The point I was trying to make last night is clear here

Once the gasket fails on the discharge port, instead of the oil being contained in the end cam bearing or passing back to the suction if that side of the gasket fails too, it has a route straight out.

The only restriction to flow straight out is the width of that inverted "T" void times the thickness of the gasket.

Go back to Rob's picture on page one where both sides of the gasket have failed at the ports and you can also see a slight distortion of the gasket where the end of that "T" shaped slot is and all the wash marks where the oil has been flowing through.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

I hadn't picked up on that Rod and its a very valid point

PhilR

696 Posts
Member #: 10034
Post Whore

Birmingham

Do you need the drain? Most of the pictures so far show the drain (just about) blocked, so If I make a steel gasket support, should I just block it off?

Below is the 1st pump I posted. Rod, what due think is the chance that this pump will ever prime? The low side is connected directly to the "T" drain. The gasket and oil film may seal it initially, but once the gasket wrinkles it looks like it will just suck air through the drain part when the engine stops and when re-priming at start-up.

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

I think we should see how Graham's works out with the new pump; Hopefully that confirms our thoughts and we can work on the solution as a retro fit. I would have thought the drain is there for a reason otherwise the oil expelled from the cam bearing will have no where to go

I can see a nice bath of laser cut spacers being required

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 9th Jul, 2015 PhilR said:
Rod, what due think is the chance that this pump will ever prime?

I've had to prime mine manually the oldskool way twice, once when I first built it and once when I hadn't run it for a year (lost interest in the project syndrome).
Other than that I just get a very slow build-up of pressure and overall lower pressure than you would expect from a high capacity pump.
So I'm 99% certain I have a badly designed/machined pump too. Won't know for certain until I pull it out to look but all the indications are that it is the same.

If you assume that unwanted gap is smallest at the "T" area (and the lack of gasket looks longer around the ports in your case too) then the size of the hole is the width of that "T" bit times the thickness of the gasket.
So it depends on how fast air can flow in through that gap (lack of prime) or oil can flow out (loss of working pressure) compared to the capacity of the pump.

One thing Graham did tell me a while ago (by email, not on the forum) is that when he had refitted his pump for I think the second time and temporarily installed a clear plastic tube from the block to the filter to watch how fast the oil was draining back, whenever he was cranking the engine there was a steady stream of air bubbles flowing with the oil. Neither of us could understand why at the time as he'd been through all the usual stuff, gearbox gasket, O ring, suction pipe gasket etc. I think it's fairly obvious why now...

EDIT missing bit added.

Edited by Rod S on 9th Jul, 2015.

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

this is all good stuff guys and clearly shows the knowledge and info available on this forum.

We would not have these opportunities to discuss these issues if we did not have the forum and I'm sure you will all agree it is an extremely useful tool for many of us.

We need to keep the lights on; can I ask you all, if you have not done so recently to think about how often you come here looking for info and put some money in the meter? every little helps

PhilR

696 Posts
Post Whore

Birmingham

On 8th Jul, 2015 Rod S said:
Phil,

In those measurements did you include the bolt head thicknesses ?

There's a mistake in my calcs that I've now gone back and edited. I thought you meant the bolts that hold the steel back on the pump, but totally forgot about the 1/4" bolts that hold the pump to the block. Taking these into account closes the gap down to 1.6mm for me. I'll reiterate that you should measure it for yourselves if you choose a steel 'patch' plate as a fix!

Graham T

608 Posts
Member #: 1106
Post Whore

Hungerford, Berks

On 9th Jul, 2015 Rod S said:

One thing Graham did tell me a while ago (by email, not on the forum) is that when he had refitted his pump for I think the second time and temporarily installed a clear plastic tube from the block to the filter to watch how fast the oil was draining back, whenever he was cranking the engine there was a steady stream of air bubbles flowing with the oil. Neither of us could understand why at the time as he'd been through all the usual stuff, gearbox gasket, O ring, suction pipe gasket etc. I think it's fairly obvious why now...

EDIT missing bit added.

There will be NO bubbles in 5 ½ hours time…

’77 Clubman build thread
http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=618189

Siamese 5 port EFI testing
http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=611675

PhilR

696 Posts
Post Whore

Birmingham

Thanks, that's a good idea with the clear pipe - will have to remember that one for the future.

Edited by PhilR on 9th Jul, 2015.

Graham T

608 Posts
Post Whore

Hungerford, Berks

To start with I was not so sure it was a good idea:
was I just seeing the normal operation of the oil system and worrying unnecessarily.

I was going to just leave it as was, bubbles and all, thinking it was all part of life, until I was alerted to Rob's on going issues.
Shame its not proper oil pipe or I would leave it in place, so I can keep checking it to worry myself even more.

’77 Clubman build thread

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

here is hoping!

On 9th Jul, 2015 Graham T said:
On 9th Jul, 2015 Rod S said:

EDIT missing bit added.

There will be NO bubbles in 5 ½ hours time…

graemec

940 Posts
Member #: 1424
Post Whore

Carnforth, Lancs

This is definitely a good active thread and there's been some great engine forensics carried out by you guys.
You can't buy this broad knoweldge and experience - I'll certainly be topping up the coffers.

Hopefully MS will also get some joy with the manufacturers and let us know the outcome - especially if it proves that the pumps aren't really fit for purpose.

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

Well i spoke with graham about an hour ago. He's now doing an good impression of a dog with 2 tails!

I'll leave it for him to give a better update

Graham T

608 Posts
Post Whore

Hungerford, Berks

Firstly:

On 9th Jul, 2015 PhilR said:
Thanks, that's a good idea with the clear pipe - will have to remember that one for the future.

It’s not that good an idea, especially if you get distracted on the phone and forget you have a piece of shit plastic pipe as you main transfer pipe…

Dad saw it ballooning, he said about 4” around, It burst seconds before he got to the ignition key. Now it all has to come apart again to clean the oil off the block and out of the radiator.

However, before the mass evacuation of oil

Not a bubble…

Primed once, spun over on the starter and within 10 seconds all air was gone and pressure at 60PSI.
Left it for 15 minutes and spun over again on starter 6 seconds to get pressure up.
Looking good…
Plugged in ECU, started up and 4 or 5 seconds to 60PSI on fast ticker over – 1200RPM.
Let it get warm and increased revs to 2900 – 75PSI
Ran it up until the fan cut in, still holding 75PSI.
Stopped the engine, chatted with Rob a bit more and restarted after about 5mins.
Instant pressure, holding 70PSI at 1800RPM Dropped down to idle after another few minutes and Pressure was at 40PSI, which it held nicely.

Transfer pipe will be replaced on Saturday, then I can run it up again and check the leak down over the next few days.
So not 100% confirmed as cured until I know I’m not going to have to constantly keep priming it, but with the turbo pump installed it never got pressure up that quickly and has needed to be re-primed after 5mins of inactivity.

Now if I had some brakes I could do the real test.

’77 Clubman build thread

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

Good news then Graham.

giannoutsos

166 Posts
Member #: 8952
Advanced Member

Athens Greece

Thanks for an amazing thread,
I am rebuilding an engine and was between the turbo pump and the evolution one, luckily ordered the evo one.
Hope you have no more problems Graham

R.Rodrigues

67 Posts
Member #: 8956
Advanced Member

Algarve/Portugal

Same here, GLP110MS bought from minispares in March 2015, still package in the box.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Get yourself some engineering blue, put a small film on the block face, insert the pump and wiggle it a bit then photo the back of the pump.

If it looks like all the others posted so far then email simon at minispares.

I've yet to pull mine out but from the overall low oil pressure I experince, I'm expecting the same.

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

Bugger. Got one of these in my fresh build. Yet to turn it over.

Oli

1733 Posts
Member #: 1910
Post Whore

Wilts

Ive also got one in my engine yet to turn it over, I think I'll pull it apart :(

On 15th Jul, 2009 fastcarl said:
the pissed up clown stood back up, did a twirl and left bollock naked,

Graham T

608 Posts
Post Whore

Hungerford, Berks

One thing of note:
I also contacted MiniSport last week to try to source an alternative (before discussions with Simon led to him sending me out the Evolution pump.)
According to their measurements, the dimension across the inside edges of the ports was also ~40.53mm.
I have no idea if the pumps come from the same manufacturer or not, but I decided against getting one because it seemed to me that fitting it could possibly yield the same results as the MiniSpares pump.

Anyhow, I've been monitoring my engine over the weekend.
No drainback, pressure comes up very quickly and I've not once had to prime the pump since I installed it on Thursday. Not even after the plastic transfer pipe blew and was left open over night.
Since Saturday Morning, I have also refitted my permanent pipes, oil stat and oil cooler and its all still working perfectly.
It seems 99% certain my issues are now resolved.

And I got to drive it on Sunday...
*happy* *happy*

’77 Clubman build thread

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

good stuff Graham. Glad to hear its still looking positive.

As for me, I'm waiting on a delivery to let me get mine back in. Fingers crossed it will be this week but work is a bit nuts so will wait and see

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Just dragging this one up again...

Apart from Rob and Graham and Phil's photos, has anyone else yet who has mentioned possible concerns, pulled the pump and blued it against the block opennings ?

I was going to last weekend but ran out of time and space in the garage but would like to know if this is an endemic problem or just a three off so if anyone else could add some pictures and prove it is a design fault it might future proof us all against failures.

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

I know a few people have looked at pumps and may have similar concerns but nothing has been blued to confirm as yet

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

Sunday is the day for me to pull my new engine out for a few other reasons not related to this pump deal but i sure will be checking it while its out
the pump ive used is the 3 bolt aluminum body and black anodized top think was from mini spares? i do remember it was torqued to stuff all as warned
going to try save the gasket to see the area that was compressed to compare

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > No or very little oil pressure
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: