Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > New to EFI conversion

Barrieri

307 Posts
Member #: 11231

What is the reason of the swap of the idle air control valve ? And what if I don't use one at all ? I have seen engines in the past using EFI with no idle air control.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

The MS3 is designed to be used with a bi-polar stepper motor and has all the circuitry included as standard. The Rover valve is uni-polar. Page 45 of the MS3 manual has more info.

If you do not use one, then you may struggle keeping it running until it has warmed up. Personal choice.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

You still need the TPS for Acceleration enrichments even when you use the MAP sensor

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

On 26th Jan, 2016 Barrieri said:
What is the reason of the swap of the idle air control valve ? And what if I don't use one at all ? I have seen engines in the past using EFI with no idle air control.

I ran the 16v engine without IAC and it was horrible when cold. As Paul suggests it will work without it, however, there is no compensation for lack of air on warm up. If you already have the hardware, why would you not use it? In my opinion, the whole point of EFi is to gain more control, not less.

There are other benefits with IAC, not just warm up.

So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

Barrieri

307 Posts

You're right mate *wink* I will eventually. I will begin the build in a short while *wink*

Barrieri

307 Posts

Hey guys, regarding fuel pump and filters, are there any specific I should use ?

Barrieri

307 Posts

What is the flow rate of the stock mpi injectors ? at 3 bar

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

About 480cc/minute

Edited by Sprocket on 21st Feb, 2016.

Barrieri

307 Posts

Sooo finally my 998cc has started with ms3x :) However it seems that I have an air leak from between the MPI intake manifold and cylinder head. The manifold flanges seems to be slightly arched and thus are letting air in. I'll try to get that fixed up.

My main issue however is how to set the ms3x properly. Up until now I have done it very briefly but however I wish to fine tune it now. Any help or thread suggestion please ?

Thanks

Yo-Han

967 Posts
Member #: 3228
Post Whore

North of the Netherlands

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=526218

I seem to remember someone on here was working on a step-by-step guide, not sure though.

Dazed and Confused....

Barrieri

307 Posts

Hey guys, today I will be giving another try on the Mini Injection Setup. I have everything wired up, just a few bits and pieces left, but I will take care of it today and later I will try to start up.

The last time I tried to start, it started but I figured out that my megasquirt was not configured properly. So I stopped there.

Can anyone guide me on how to properly set my ms3x ?

I've got a 36-1 trigger wheel on the crank, a 1 tooth cam wheel attached to the dizzy. I'm running a stock MPi manifold with MPI injectors and throttle body. However my engine is a 998cc stock.

In particular, what spark and injector channels should I be using on the ms3x ? Is there a particular two channels which I should use ?

I tried to check out the link Yo-Han posted in the previous post but haven't found what I'm looking for.

Thanks in Advance :)

Edited by Barrieri on 26th Mar, 2016.

Barrieri

307 Posts

Also I have a coil pack as per attached

Attachments:

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 26th Mar, 2016 Barrieri said:

In particular, what spark and injector channels should I be using on the ms3x ? Is there a particular two channels which I should use ?

Simplest setup to get it running is to use injector channels A & C. Use twice the engine capacity for the REQ_FUEL calculation as you are only using two of the four injector outputs.

With the logic level coil pack pictured you will need to wire it up for wasted spark as shown in the diagram.

In Tuner Studio select MS3X outputs and wasted spark.

Edited by Paul S on 26th Mar, 2016.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Barrieri

307 Posts

Thanks Paul. I'm currently using injector channels A and B. Why exactly do you use channel C ? Because of the output phasing between the channels ?

Beside, I have started but its running very rich. The AFR is reading about 10. I have stated the flow capacity of the injectors as 450cc/min. I'm using stock MPi injectors. Is that a correct number ?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

As the ports operate 360 degrees apart then you need two channels, 360 degrees apart, so A & C are required.

480cc/min is about the right number.

I hope you have two widebands, else setting it up will be guesswork.

Barrieri

307 Posts

So then I guess that I should set the spark on channels A and C as well ? Right ?

Regarding the wideband I only have one yet, but will buy another very soon. For now I'm trying to check the spark plugs to check for any abnormalities.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 27th Mar, 2016 Barrieri said:
So then I guess that I should set the spark on channels A and C as well ? Right ?

No, spark is A & B. I think that is the case, only I've never used wasted spark with the MS3X.

Barrieri

307 Posts

Hmm ok... that should prove to be a problem for me. Yesterday I was trying to use spark A and B but for some odd reason from channel B there was no output. Then I changed channel B with C and started correctly. I don't know whats up with channel B.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 27th Mar, 2016 Barrieri said:
Hmm ok... that should prove to be a problem for me. Yesterday I was trying to use spark A and B but for some odd reason from channel B there was no output. Then I changed channel B with C and started correctly. I don't know whats up with channel B.

It's probably a setup issue. If A&C spark work then stick with it.

You're the first on here to try wasted spark on the MS3X so you are breaking new ground.

Barrieri

307 Posts

I'll keep you updated on that then.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

We are running the standard MPi injectors on our 998. The Required Fuel value is 8.5mS.

Barrieri

307 Posts

So then I must be doing something wrong. Attached is my setup. My required fuel is 16.2ms if I put 998cc as engine size. If I double it, it comes even larger. The car is running very rich, almost 10AFR.

I guess I need to change to 2 squirts per engine cycle and leave staging as simultaneous ?

Attachments:

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

You should be using Speed-Density not Alpha-N.

Injectors should be 4, although you are only using 2, the ecu needs to think there are 4.

This is my setup:

Barrieri

307 Posts

Once you told me that in sequential mode, you can do with making the ECU squirt one long pulse instead of spraying twice the same injector consecutively. Do you impose that to the ECU in the above tab by "1 squirt per engine cycle" and "simultaneous" ?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

This is the method to apply one single squirt to fill 2 cylinders.

The next stage would be to connect channels B&D to the injectors and fire the same injector twice. But for now, whilst you get all the other settings sorted, this would be the best method to try.

Once you have set the ecu to fully sequential, it ignores the "simulatneous" setting.

Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > New to EFI conversion
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: