Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > To stage or not to stage

Nobby

17 Posts
Member #: 11671

Hello, I am new to the forum, I have a 1275 gt with blow through Eaton m45. Currently on a metro turbo carb but I am in the process of port injecting it.

I'm going down the sequential route but can't decide whether to use one injector per port, or two per port and stage them. My max power should be around 130-140 bhp. Using Paul Sturgess and Rod Sugden's injector size table from their pdf I'm looking at a total of 2300cc/min for that amount of power. So shall I put one large injector per port or two per port and stage them?

Would one per port be able to control flow at idle conditions?

Thanks,
Rob

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

You're on the borderline between using 2 large injectors and 4 smaller ones (2 primary and 2 staged secondaries).

The 2300 cc/min for 130/140hp was an early guide. We have seen some go higher with less so I would suggest having a go with 2 1000cc/min injectors as a starting point.

You should be able to get enough control at idle. I'm running 800cc primary injectors on my 998, that's pro-rata the same as 1000cc on a 1275, and it's fine.

Edited by Paul S on 14th Dec, 2017.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

I would concur with Paul, try 2 x 1000cc and see.

My current setup is 2 x 1000 and idles absolutely fine. I still haven't finished welding my staged manifold (don't even ask how long it is since I started it...) so I don't have a direct comparison of my own but from a comparison Graham T (on here) did with his setup (staged with smaller primary injectors) then borrowing a pair of my 1000cc injectors, there appears to be a bit more to it than just the injector size when it comes to the idle characteristics.

The total size (single or staged) essentially determines the maximum power (although even that isn't entirely straightforward as it depends on how long you allow the pulse width to get before you start losing control of the mixture distribution between inners and outers) the idle quality - when the pulse widths are really small - seems to be affected by the choice of injector as well.

Everyone will have their own preferences and points of view on this but from what Graham told me, when he tried my injectors and ECU, the idle was better even though the injectors were larger. The main difference (apart from the size) being low-z vs. high-z (hence why he also borrowed my ECU as the drive circuitry is different) and completely different spray patterns. Whether it was low-z vs. high-z, or the spray pattern that made the difference, who knows....
Apart from those two fundamental differences, you can probably add manufacturer of the injector and manifold design (ie, where the injectors point) into the equation as well.....

But, the main thing with idle is getting the ECU settings to really match the actual injector performance especially with respect to the "dead" time correction (open/close/latency depending on who you believe) and voltage correction (which is more important than most people think as the battery won't be under charge voltage at idle). Those correction factors vary a lot between manufacturers.

EDIT - typos and a bit added.

Edited by Rod S on 14th Dec, 2017.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Graham T

604 Posts
Member #: 1106
Post Whore

Hungerford, Berks

According to my datalog from my original dyno session, I hit 25% duty at 4847RPM and 209KPa (15.6 PSI).
That gave me an alleged 148HP and 162 Lbs/ft. This was with Siemens Deka 840cc/min injectors, non staged.

From that point on, there was overlap on the pulses, if you can understand the below graph.

I believe I am on what I thing is the edge of the injectors ability to properly open when on tick over.
With Rod’s low z injectors I was able to drop the Injector opening time down to 0.7ms, compared to the 1.2ms I am running the Siemens injectors at. With Rod’s injectors the tick over was much smoother and much more stable, with AFR’s around the 14.1 mark, with My Siemens injectors I need to be at around 13.4AFR to get a reasonable tickover, and then it is still not brilliant.

What RPM do you think you will be at to achieve your max power?

’77 Clubman build thread
http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=618189

Siamese 5 port EFI testing
http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=611675

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 14th Dec, 2017 Graham T said:

I believe I am on what I thing is the edge of the injectors ability to properly open when on tick over.
With Rod’s low z injectors I was able to drop the Injector opening time down to 0.7ms, compared to the 1.2ms I am running the Siemens injectors at. With Rod’s injectors the tick over was much smoother and much more stable, with AFR’s around the 14.1 mark, with My Siemens injectors I need to be at around 13.4AFR to get a reasonable tickover, and then it is still not brilliant.

That could be down to the more linear characteristics at low pulse widths of Rod's Low-z injectors. It could also be due to other factors such as spray pattern, voltage variation, location etc, but my money is on the low pulse width issue.

Below 2mSec the Siemens have a non-linear characteristic, so you can see big changes in flow for little changes in pulse width which would lead to an unstable idle.

MS3 does allow you to define the low pulse width characteristics. All well if you have reliable data. I'm getting a nice smooth idle on 840cc Siemens but I'm using the single pulse method.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Graham T

604 Posts
Member #: 1106
Post Whore

Hungerford, Berks

On 15th Dec, 2017 Paul S said:

Below 2mSec the Siemens have a non-linear characteristic, so you can see big changes in flow for little changes in pulse width which would lead to an unstable idle.

Yes, the datasheet for the Siemens injectors shows a minimum operating pulse width of 1.7ms, where on tickover I am running about 1.28 -1.3ms, the data sheet does not even show the linear error % below ~1.6ms.

The Characteristic Injector Flow curve chart on the datasheet is not easy to read, but it shows the knee of the curve somewhere around 1.3ms, the knee being the minimum pulse width required to fully open the injector.

With my original Manifold, my tickover MAP was IIRC was 38 – 40KPA. Tickover was actually fairly good, but I do not remember the PW it was running.

I’m think I had something set up differently back then: IVAC position, Ignition timing or something, because now with the MPI manifold it is pulling 28 – 31KPA at ~980 – 1050RPM when warmed up, hence I think that’s the reason why it’s is now not as smooth as it used to be - it needs less fuel for the lower MAP, so is now operating the injectors with way to low a pulse width.

I did start looking at the ASNU injectors, but was not confident enough on my calculations to be sure that they would actually help at low pulse widths, and it’s a lot of money to pay out for something that might not actually be any better.

’77 Clubman build thread
http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=618189

Siamese 5 port EFI testing
http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=611675

Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > To stage or not to stage
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: