Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > Baffled tank or swirl pot

IronmanG

9 Posts
Member #: 11981

My first post! Afternoon all. I have chosen to go 7 port and injection so need to fit high pressure pump.
In a pick up so I cant use an mpi tank.
I dont particularly want to use a swirl pot which is recommended. Just more things to go wrong. So would a baffled tank do the same job. And with the pump sited lower than the tank is gravity enough to feed it.
Please chuck as many examples at me as possible. This is probably what I am least looking forward to in the whole build
G

shane

2619 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

welcome.
I may be missing something here but why can't you use the MPI tank?
I run one for my K1100 turbo engine, just changed the pump out for one with a flow rate and pressure that met my requirements.
What fuel pressure are you intending to run and what injector size?

Shane

IronmanG

9 Posts

It's a pick up not saloon
Injector size and pressure I will check
I want to say 3 bar with the regulator?

Attachments:

Edited by IronmanG on 13th Apr, 2020.

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Sorry I missed that bit totally.
Why are you not wanting to use a swirl pot and lift pump?
If you want something bespoke made, speak to Clare and Bob at concept racing, they can make you a baffled foam filled tank to suit your needs.

Shane

Edited by shane on 13th Apr, 2020.

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

How much space is above the top of the tank when it's installed?

Shane

IronmanG

9 Posts

Not much. It's pretty snug.
I dont want 2 pumps when I can have 1 and I dont want effectively 2 tanks if I can have 1. If a baffled tank does the job and I can put the pump on the su frame and a gravity feed is adequate I would prefer that.
Thanks for the contact I shall give them a call

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Member #: 9038
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

It can't be gravity fed on a lwb tank because the pickup is the middle of the tank half way up. The lwb tank can suffer from starvation on sweeping bends etc. I have fitted a swirl pot and 2 pumps after recommendations on here

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Just a side thought, I remember reading recently in PPC magazine, one of the contributors has a Scimitar with an Omega engine in. I believed it ran a MK2 golf pump as it was a neat self contained unit/ separate small tank which did all he needed to run the EFI. I may be wrong on the detail as it was a few months back.
My girlfriend takes the magazines to work for one of her colleagues when Ive finished with them so I can't check.

These link may be of assistance;
https://fuelinjectorclinic.com/flow-calculator
https://www.raceworks.com.au/calculators/

Shane

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

An old Golf Bosch pump is the same as the Metro turbo ( and many others ) fuel pump.

Really...if you can get inside the tank and do some serious work...it could work just fine. But that'd be no small task.

2 pumps and a small fuel surge tank would be the easiest, there are quite a few good compact units around. Or if you can find an EFI pump that can suck a little bit ( most do not ), you could install Holley's Hydramat inside the tank. But it isnt exactly cheap either.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

IronmanG

9 Posts

Do you have some pictures please?

On 13th Apr, 2020 hazpalmer said:
It can't be gravity fed on a lwb tank because the pickup is the middle of the tank half way up. The lwb tank can suffer from starvation on sweeping bends etc. I have fitted a swirl pot and 2 pumps after recommendations on here

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Member #: 9038
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

On 14th Apr, 2020 IronmanG said:
Do you have some pictures please?

On 13th Apr, 2020 hazpalmer said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7JEQlIjTdE/?ut...g_web_copy_link

best i can do at the moment. Mine isnt as neat as it could be i think. Swirl pot is mounted on that panel that is pop rivited in. I then drill holes through that and the lower boot floor fitted grommets to run the house through. The lift pump and filter is on the rear subframe like it would be if it was gravity fed on a normal saloon. The lift pump is mounted on the back of the rear subframe on a metal plate near where the fuel union is on the tank. The return from the swirl pot is T'd into the low pressure side between the lift pump and the tank. Its a lot of fuel hose because of the different size fittings on the tank, filters etc. I havent used this set up yet, but i thought it was best to do it this way. I have heard people just using a normal efi pump but i didnt want to take the chance.

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

half way down the post, appreciate its a saloon but the theory is the same.

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...id=153895&fr=50

Shane

theoneeyedlizard

7261 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

I’d modify the tank for an internal pump and plate. It’s not difficult and makes for a cheap, simple, quiet setup with lots of pump options.

In the 13's at last!.. Just

IronmanG

9 Posts

On 14th Apr, 2020 theoneeyedlizard said:
I’d modify the tank for an internal pump and plate. It’s not difficult and makes for a cheap, simple, quiet setup with lots of pump options.

This would be my preference I think but on a pick up tank? Is there enough room and still baffle the tank out?

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

This was my line of thought when questioning the clearance above the tank, I was also thinking of adding a well/resevoir that the pump sat in to keep the pump supplied with fuel in the periods where fuel was sloshing about under heavy cornering?

On 14th Apr, 2020 IronmanG said:

On 14th Apr, 2020 theoneeyedlizard said:

This would be my preference I think but on a pick up tank? Is there enough room and still baffle the tank out?

IronmanG

9 Posts

Ye just been having a think. I reckon weld some aluminium plate in to the tank about 3 inches high 5 inch diameter. Drop the pump into it. Couple of small holes allow fuel out and minimise sloshing. An mpi pump with the return. Even weld an extra bit on the tank so it protrudes slightly below the normal level

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

https://www.motorsport-tools.com/catalogsea...esult/?q=walbro

You may find yourself something here that may save you some fu@@ing about.

Shane

tmsmini

186 Posts
Member #: 7637
Advanced Member

Fremont California

This is what Nick Upton of Woodland California did for us that we use in our wagon.

Attachments:

Edited by tmsmini on 14th Apr, 2020.

IronmanG

9 Posts

Very neat indeed. Thanks for the pictures

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

I'm sure I've seen a picture on here of someone doing similar, with a neat oval shaped access port in the side of the tank, to accept an in tank pump. Can't find it though.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

tmsmini

186 Posts
Advanced Member

Fremont California

This might be the one Tom is referring to:
http://www.stallard-engineering.co.uk/stor...he_fuelling.htm

http://www.stallard-engineering.co.uk/stor...he_fuelling.htm

IronmanG

9 Posts

Interesting that. Thankyou

IronmanG

9 Posts

Interesting that. Thankyou

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

Maybe I'm missing it....but there I see absolutely no attempt to combat fuel slosh there ?

All he's done is adapt an in-tank pump, into the same inappropriate design of tank for EFI. And the wiring pass through looks questionable.

Unless the car is only ever going to cruise along in a straight line, it will need good baffling in the tank or the likes of the Holley hydramat I mentioned.

Modifying the tank for an in-tank pump itself is pretty easy if you can weld or braze, but in order to properly baffle it....the tank would need to be opened up quite a bit to allow the work to take place.
Or space permitting, an additional sump type feature might be able to be added somewhere as a half way house.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

tmsmini

186 Posts
Advanced Member

Fremont California

Ours is in a little box that acts as a baffle and seems to be working well enough.

The Hydramat looks great, but doubles the cost of a tank.
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/hydramat/

What some of the US aftermarket efi tank manufacturers have done is make a recessed area in the top of the tank where the electrical and fuel connections can be made. The whole pump and swirl pot in one just drops in. I am not sure this is possible with an LWB tank.

Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > Baffled tank or swirl pot
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: