Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Dashpot Oil

Glun34

16 Posts
Member #: 11921

What's the thickest oil someone has ran in their dashpot?

I started out with 5W-30 and the engine would bog/go lean under fast throttle movements. I switched to 20W-50 and this improved but it still goes lean momentary if you apply the throttle with any speed.

I always thought that 20W-50 would be the thickest you'd possibly need to go. So interested to find out what grades other people are running. I should mention the carbs been rebuilt and the balance/part throttle lean off pipes have been blocked off.

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Member #: 9038
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

People use all sorts. Dash pot oil is 20w some use ATF some 3 in 1 oil most probably use 20w50 I think

shane

2618 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Just as a side thought, have you tried running a higher poundage dashpot spring?

Shane

metroturbo

806 Posts
Member #: 989
Post Whore

North Yorkshire

Is this on a turbo carb with the balance pipe still fitted? Going lean when going from cruising to accelerating can be caused by issues with the part throttle lean off on the carb.

Glun34

16 Posts
Member #: 11921

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've got a higher poundage spring but not given it a go. I believe its a high boost spring as I'm currently running the standard yellow one, and its other one is quite a lot harder.

Yes, turbo carb but I've got the balance pipe blocked off. found it was very lean with everything connected.

PEP

327 Posts
Member #: 1145

North Wales

I had a bottle ages agohttp://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/Fuel/Carburettors/BDR125.aspx?1302&ReturnUrl=/search/classic/dashpot%20oil.aspx|Back%20to%20search. saves messing about.

shane

2618 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

If you have a search I believe I've previously read of members using two springs, but I cannot remember the result.

Shane

On 28th Dec, 2020 Glun34 said:
Thanks for the replies guys.

I've got a higher poundage spring but not given it a go. I believe its a high boost spring as I'm currently running the standard yellow one, and its other one is quite a lot harder.

Yes, turbo carb but I've got the balance pipe blocked off. found it was very lean with everything connected.

metroturbo

806 Posts
Member #: 989
Post Whore

North Yorkshire

The problem with using two springs is that it has two effects. It does slow down the rise of the dashpot and help to stop it leaning off, but it also changes in what position the dashpot sits when cruising at any particular throttle position i.e. the needle sits lower in the jet due to the extra spring pressure. In the short term you can fix one problem and create a new one.

Edited by metroturbo on 28th Dec, 2020.

shane

2618 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=139234

Mixed results.
Shane

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Dashpot Oil
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: