Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Non-Mini Discussion > A bit of Christmas cheer?

Graham T

604 Posts
Member #: 1106
Post Whore

Hungerford, Berks

Completely unrelated to Mini’s and in fact cars, but I thought a few of you might appreciate this.

This started out purely as a basic project to learn some robotics, get away from the Clubman build for a while and learn a bit more Python and Arduino coding.

Before I knew it, my basic project had turned into a major exercise in self learning – Code name SNOT: Seasonal Network Operated Technology.

It was only supposed to be this:

Then it kind of “snowballed” (see what I did there…)

As normal, I kept forgetting to document progress in photo’s, but here’s what I did get.

And the final result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mByuupPdExU

What the video does not show, are the 3 penguins we added after SNOT was deployed.

One plays a guitar and 2 dance with syncronised flippers ( in a sort of 3 degrees way)

Main control is a Raspberry pi 4, 4Gb ram, overclocked to 1.8Ghz.

Most of the routines are handle by a python script, with a 16 channel PWM servo driver board connected to the RPi over I2c for control of the shoulder, elbow and mouth servos.
Control of the “waist” servo is handled by an Arduino nano, receiving movement coordinates via serial port from the Raspberry pi.
He tracks movement via a small camera (with night vision) in one of the eyes. There is a detection method which sorts the objects it see’s into categories. I have it filtering for “People” only, with a probability threshold of 67%. This means he will only trigger and track objects of which he is 67% certain are people.

There are 8 different greetings and 20 Christmas songs (all old: Bing Crosby, Perry Como, etc) which play randomly every time he is triggered.

Yes, yes, all a bit sad really, but with the lead up to Christmas we have just had (and now being in Tier 4 before Christmas), it has been amazing to see how he has been received locally.

Children and Adults dancing along with him and the same families coming up night after night to see what he will say or “sing differently.

Anyway, just a bit of fun which I know has spread a bit of cheer around here!

Merry Christmas

Edited by Graham T on 24th Dec, 2020.

’77 Clubman build thread
http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=618189

Siamese 5 port EFI testing
http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=611675

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Ha ha! Love it. Have a nice Christmas Graham.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

Yo-Han

967 Posts
Member #: 3228
Post Whore

North of the Netherlands

Very cool, happy holidays!

Dazed and Confused....

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

BLOODY BRILLIANT.

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

burcy35

177 Posts
Member #: 10990
Advanced Member

Hornsea

That's fantastic, well done.

I have seen this sort of behaviour before. It's when you find a very clever person with some spare time on there hands.😁

Merry Xmas 👍🍺🥳

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Brilliant, that escalated quickly!

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Bonkers. I too am learning Python but nothing as advanced as robotics.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

That’s great. What a fun project!

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Elfturbo

116 Posts
Member #: 2576
Advanced Member

South Staffordshire

Lovely work. I love the creativity of the turbo mini forum

HOSS

shane

2619 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

At first I was disappointed with the lack of clubman progress, but hats off to you that's a good one.

Shane

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Brilliant but you have committed the ultimate internet sin.....

A YouTube video in portrait mode..........

Merry Xmas.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Graham T

604 Posts
Post Whore

Hungerford, Berks

Cheers all.
I hope everyone had a good day yesterday!

On 24th Dec, 2020 shane said:
At first I was disappointed with the lack of clubman progress, but hats off to you that's a good one.

Shane

In all Honestly, I have a handful of excuses for lack of Progress on the clubman, but ultimately when it comes down to it:
I threw my rattle out of the pram and walked away.

This was after putting the first gutter piece on.
It looks ok from the top, but there is a big mess underneath to sort out, which I can only do by turning the car over.
So rather than continuing to make a mess around the whole of the car, I walked away for a “short” time to get some composure and perspective on the whole project.

I am back on it now, not doing the gutter exclusively, but getting other bits sorted so that I feel I have some progress while scratching my head on the approach I am going to take on the rest of the gutter.
I’m not in any hurry now with the gutter. I cannot spray it for a few months and the biggest issue I have is that I have been waiting 3 months for a new 30 Amp ‘C’ type RCD.
All the existing modules in the consumer unit are B type and they will not hold when the spot welder starts.
Apparently my 4 year old consumer unit is “really old” and is no longer manufactured (change in regulations apparently), so because there is no standard sizing with these modules, getting a C type module was almost impossible.

We now have the module and I have been promised it will be fitted between Xmas and the new year.

On 24th Dec, 2020 burcy35 said:
That's fantastic, well done.

I have seen this sort of behaviour before. It's when you find a very clever person with some spare time on there hands.😁

Merry Xmas 👍🍺🥳

More like "lets find excuses not to go back to what I should be doing because I am still sulking about the mess"

On 24th Dec, 2020 Paul S said:
Bonkers. I too am learning Python but nothing as advanced as robotics.

I only need Python because of the lack of PowerShell Support in Linux. 90% of the scripting I do for work is PowerShell, so crossing over to Python is somewhat challenging.
I know there is the new cross platform “core” version of PowerShell, but it is really not supported well enough for a lot of Linux based projects and libraries I need.

This whole project actually has a big bearing on the “variable length runners” which are currently on hold while I finish the clubman build.

On 24th Dec, 2020 minimole23 said:
Brilliant, that escalated quickly!

To be fair, the escalation was due to a conversation with better half after a few beverages, when she made the comment “I bet you cannot turn that into something fun for Christmas ”

Oh, you do, do you??? !

On 24th Dec, 2020 Rod S said:
Brilliant but you have committed the ultimate internet sin.....

A YouTube video in portrait mode..........

Merry Xmas.

AH, I had not even thought of that.
The first video I shot was in Landscape, but the sound could not be heard over the servo’s.
So once I sorted that out on the phone, I tried serval times to get the right greeting with the right song and eventually ended up with the right combination and sound level, but actually never paid any regard to orientation.

Edited by Graham T on 26th Dec, 2020.

’77 Clubman build thread

Anthony30

144 Posts
Member #: 10828
Advanced Member

Rainhill, Merseyside.

*Clapping*

On 18th Nov, 2014 D4VE said:
went down to my local hydraulics place and he gave me a suitable replacement larger nipple *smiley*

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

In all fairness the project was progressing with great speed and I was surprised that the saga with the front panel wasn't the catalyst for the toys being thrown out of the pram.
I just hope that this little sabbatical has been enough for you to take stock and push on, the progress has been enjoyable to watch.
Its nice to see with the reduction in traffic on this site that some of the builds are progressing well and documented for the enjoyment of others.

On 24th Dec, 2020 shane said:

Shane

In all Honestly, I have a handful of excuses for lack of Progress on the clubman, but ultimately when it comes down to it:
I threw my rattle out of the pram and walked away.

Graham T

604 Posts
Post Whore

Hungerford, Berks

On 26th Dec, 2020 shane said:

In all fairness the project was progressing with great speed and I was surprised that the saga with the front panel wasn't the catalyst for the toys being thrown out of the pram. …

It kind of was Shane.

That cost me around 2 and a bit months I think all told.
I had a plan that by early September I would have had it sprayed and ready to be built up over the winter, so that it was ready to drive for early summer.
When I found the rot in the gutters was worse than I thought, then found how difficult it was going to be to get them sorted, it was obvious the shell was not going to get sprayed until next spring, hence walking away.

But yes, back on it now so I’ll start updating my build thread in the next few days, once I have some progress to share.

’77 Clubman build thread

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

The path of least resistance offers the least reward.

Shane

On 27th Dec, 2020 Graham T said:

On 26th Dec, 2020 shane said:

In all fairness the project was progressing with great speed and I was surprised that the saga with the front panel wasn't the catalyst for the toys being thrown out of the pram. …

It kind of was Shane.

That cost me around 2 and a bit months I think all told.
I had a plan that by early September I would have had it sprayed and ready to be built up over the winter, so that it was ready to drive for early summer.
When I found the rot in the gutters was worse than I thought, then found how difficult it was going to be to get them sorted, it was obvious the shell was not going to get sprayed until next spring, hence walking away.

But yes, back on it now so I’ll start updating my build thread in the next few days, once I have some progress to share.

Home > Non-Mini Discussion > A bit of Christmas cheer?
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: