Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Metro/Mini inner cv/pot joint differences?

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

I’ve just discovered a brand new set of pot joints while tidying out a cupboard in the workshop.
They’re labelled as “Rover Austin Metro”. I seem to recall there’s some difference between these and the Mini ones, anybody know?
I’ll keep them if they’re useable otherwise they’re for sale.

Cheers
Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

shane

2618 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

I've a metro and a mini engine in the garage with the pots in the box still, I can have a look tomorrow and see if there is anything obvious.

Shane

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts

Lake District

Cheers mate.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

metroturbo

806 Posts
Member #: 989
Post Whore

North Yorkshire

There is a bit of info here that might help.
http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=442031

Jd24-7

55 Posts
Member #: 11761
Advanced Member

Worcestershire

I have mixed and matched and never noticed a difference. Drive shafts are obviously different in length, but otherwise similar. My 998 is stock from a late model mini with its inners, running metro outers. The older 1275 was straight out of a metro, from a pick your own scrap yard, so I would have taken everything that could be seen as part of the engine and box *smiley* . There might be internal differences or improvements, but I can't see rover not using what was already in the parts bin. (Unless someone decided to metricate them!!!!)
Over the years, Ive swapped mini shafts onto metro inners and outers and old austin 1100 outers with hubs and they all seem to have compatible splines
Do they have rubber Gaitors that don't dissolve in natural air??? They could be like gold dust *smiley*
Jd

Jd24-7

55 Posts
Member #: 11761
Advanced Member

Worcestershire

I have mixed and matched and never noticed a difference. Drive shafts are obviously different in length, but otherwise similar. My 998 is stock from a late model mini with its inners, running metro outers. The older 1275 was straight out of a metro, from a pick your own scrap yard, so I would have taken everything that could be seen as part of the engine and box *smiley* . There might be internal differences or improvements, but I can't see rover not using what was already in the parts bin. (Unless someone decided to metricate them!!!!)
Over the years, Ive swapped mini shafts onto metro inners and outers and old austin 1100 outers with hubs and they all seem to have compatible splines
Do they have rubber Gaitors that don't dissolve in natural air??? They could be like gold dust *smiley*
Jd

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts

Lake District

Cheers for the replies. The boots must be good quality as I’ve had the joints for 20+ years and the rubber hadn’t dissolved yet.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

From memory, when I sent a set of shafts over to the USA (as per the thread linked earlier) the pot joints themselves are essentially the same.
The splines that engage in the diff and the internal splines for the drive shaft are definitely the same.
The internal bits may be slightly better, the balls and cage looked slightly larger (but what I was looking at may have been a re-conditioned pair where they re-grind the grooves and use larger balls).
The main difference is obviously the shaft length, BUT, also the way the boot fits.
The Metro boot is much longer (and way superior) so the locating "groove" for the metal clip (or cable tie if you do it on the cheap) in the metro shaft is further out.
So, on a Mini, you have to use the cheap/nasty Mini inner boot, not the better metro one.

EDIT 2
The other thing to consider is whether the Metro boots would actually fit inside the holes in a Mini subframe ?

Edited by Rod S on 23rd Jan, 2021.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

shane

2618 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

I dug out what I had in the garage this afternoon but the Metro joints I've got have no inners to provide complete comparison.
I've checked over the outers and the only difference (as mentioned above) is the type and retention groove for the CV boot.
Internal measurements appear to be the same but I am comparing a 40k mile metro pot to an unknown millage mini one.
Images below; Mini pot is on the left and Metro on the right.
Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Shane

Edited by shane on 23rd Jan, 2021.

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts

Lake District

Thanks for that Shane, top effort.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

graemec

940 Posts
Member #: 1424
Post Whore

Carnforth, Lancs

Phil,

There were some Metro 'heavy duty' ones which are what Rod is describing I think, these aren't that common. The Metro did also use one the same as the Mini.

The heavy duty Metro ones are like this:

If the ones you have 'found' are like these then I would gladly buy them from you - I use them on my rally car.

Edited by graemec on 9th Feb, 2021.

madmk1

5417 Posts
Member #: 6181
Double hard bastard

brookwood woking

These are the ones I have on the mk1, they are sealed (boot is on a tube) and made by hardy spicer.

On 9th Feb, 2021 graemec said:
Phil,

There were some Metro 'heavy duty' ones which are what Rod is describing I think, these aren't that common. The Metro did also use one the same as the Mini.

The heavy duty Metro ones are like this:

If the ones you have 'found' are like these then I would gladly buy them from you - I use them on my rally car.

I have started posting on Instagram also my name on there is turbomk1golf

Nothing is impossible it just costs more and takes longer.

On 1st Nov, 2007 Ben H said:
There is no such thing as 'insignificant weight saving', it all adds up.

viz139

108 Posts
Member #: 9182
Advanced Member

There are two sizes.Years ago when doing a swap I had inners two big for the outers. Can't remember the source of the parts but had to use them as matched sets.The big problem would be if you put a small inner in a big outer and didn't notice.

viz139

108 Posts
Advanced Member

I found two of the odd CV in the workshop today.As per Shanes photo the difference on the outside is the width of the boot retainer ring.The difference in the outer part is the thickness of the wall between the ball bearings. The difference in the inner is the external diameter of the cage. Big cage will only fit thin wall but small cage will fit both.

viz139

108 Posts
Advanced Member

Photo of large cage sitting on thickwall outer. The thicker wall would increase the contact area with the ball bearing

Attachments:

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Metro/Mini inner cv/pot joint differences?
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: