Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > How To > Make a tool for efficiently removing the gearbox mainshaft bearings!

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Well - The bearings weren't coming out of my gearbox so easilly today; So - I made a tool to do the job. Last one I made disappeared and I've been talking about making another for a long time....

So - firstly - you need a tool like this from machine mart:

It's called a slide hammer. You can make one VERY easilly however - a piece of 2ft long 1/2"diameter bar with a cap / sleeve welded onto one end. You then need a suitable 'lump' of metal to act as a mass. Use your imagination / initiative - but it obviously needs to 'slide' along the bar and not past the cap/sleeve you've welded on there already!
On the other end of the bar, weld a M12 bolt - thread outwards of course. Congrats - your Very own slide hammer!

Now - this is the adaptor you need to make:

It's a 1st motion (bottom drop gear) nut welded to a 2" length of 1" diameter thin-wall tube. At the other end, weld in a M12 nut (will fall nicely inside the tube). All done!

To use:

Well - a picture paints a thousand words!

Screw the adaptor onto the 1st motion shaft. Screw the slide hammer into the adaptor.

Now - to use:

Hold the outer end of the slide hammer. Hold the 'sliding element' with your other hand, and slide it towards the transmission, then whack it backwards. Stand in amazement as the whole 1st motion bearing and shaft comes out with ease.
If it doesn't come out, then remove the slide hammer and hit yourself over the head with it before removing the circlip holding the bearing into the casing.

Now - the mainshaft dounble roller also benefits from this tool because the thread is the same in the 1st motion and mainshaft:

You need caution here though, as you can only draw the bearing out around 4/5mm before the 1st gear contacts the centre web - so don't use a lot of force...
What you can do though, is push the whole mainshaft assy back into the gearbox whilst putting a suitable wedge / spacer between the bearing circlip and web - hence preventing the bearing sliding back in.

Now you'll have a gap of around 10mm between lip on the end of the mainshaft and inner race of the bearing. Drop something in there like a small piece of aluminium to take up the clearance.

Now pull the mainshaft back and operate the hammer again.

By now you'll have enough of the mainshaft bearing ciclip exposed to get some pry bars (or screwdrivers for non-engineers) on to fully withdraw the bearing.

Jobs a goodun!

Edited by TurboDave16V on 24th Sep, 2009.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

oh - DON'T hold the slide hammer in the area which is going to get impacted by the hammer. Firslty, the bones in your hand / fingers have a significantly lower impact strength than regular mild steel.
Furthermore, the cushioning effect of skin, flesh, and collapsing bones and cartlidge will reduce the effectivness of the 'impact' needed to withdraw the bearing.

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Vegard

7763 Posts
Member #: 74
I pick holes in everything..

Chief ancient post excavator

Norway

Oh oh... Perfect for me, as I've jut made some tools myself :)
Let me get that camera out!

On 13th Jul, 2012 Ben H said:
Mine gets in the way a bit, but only when it is up. If it is down it does not cause a problem.

Nic

9311 Posts
Member #: 59
First mini turbo to get in the 12's & site perv

Herefordshire

nice, and itll save you £70 or something

andeh

982 Posts
Member #: 97
Post Whore

Near Daventry, midlands

impressive, nice faq dave :cool:

I've seen the future and tbh its Pie

Vegard

7763 Posts

Norway

I don't know i f this tool is still available, but I bought it dirt cheap off Ebay:

Finally I had to make my own tool to remove the double roller bearing. This tool also was avaliable earlier. What you do is to knock the mainshaft towards the 1st motion shaft (after it has been removed with the other tool:) ) then fit this tool (when it's finished it'll ook like a C) between the double roller and 1st gear.
Thenjust knock the mainshaft towards the speedo housing side and hey presto... Finished :)

Mine gets in the way a bit, but only when it is up. If it is down it does not cause a problem.

Vegard

7763 Posts

Norway

I might add. I also use the sliding hammer for removing idler bearings.

miniminor63

1849 Posts
Member #: 672
The oversills police

Oslo, Norway

hhmm Veg, WE made that one tool not you*tongue*

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

On 25/04/2006 17:27:08 miniminor63 said:

Ha ha ha!

Caught out!

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

Looks like Vegard has been WRONG! again!

LOL!

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

Vegard

7763 Posts

Norway

Well, I was team leader. You were my slave. Of course I deserve all the credit! *tongue*

miniminor63

1849 Posts
The oversills police

Oslo, Norway

hmm, I dont remember who it was that made that hole in the middle oval and ruining the drillbit? you worked on that lathe, not me:) I just watched you:)

Vegard

7763 Posts

Norway

Exactly, you did nothing! :)

I even broke something in the process!

miniminor63

1849 Posts
The oversills police

Oslo, Norway

this doesnt make sense Veg, first I where your slave, and then I didnt do anything? may I question your creditability?*tongue*

Vegard

7763 Posts

Norway

On 25/04/2006 17:27:08 miniminor63 said:

On 26/04/2006 08:28:34 miniminor63 said:

hmm, I dont remember who it was that made that hole in the middle oval and ruining the drillbit? you worked on that lathe, not me:) I just watched you:)

My credibility? What's this nonsense then? Self contradiction in terms.

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Vegard has minimal credibility. There is nothing therefore to question. LOL

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

*laughing* *laughing* *laughing* *laughing* *laughing* *laughing* *laughing* *laughing*

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

miniminor63

1849 Posts
The oversills police

Oslo, Norway

On 26/04/2006 08:28:34 miniminor63 said:

Oh, just read it carefully Veg:) Its reads THAT lathe, we used two, we both turned it to shape in the big lathe, and you TRIED drilling the hole in the other small lathe:)

Bat

4559 Posts
Member #: 786
Post Whore

Bermingum

Hi,
Now steady on..... Refer the to the NO BITCHING post, please! *wink* *tongue* Thank you!

LOL! I'd love to see you two in a workshop, must be a giggle! Can you post up a video?
Cheers,
Gavin :)

PS Nice slider hammer contraption Dave! (Note to self.....Must remember keep it On Topic*wink* )

Edited by Bat on 1st May, 2006.

VEMs Authorised Installer / Re-seller. K head kits now available!

WB/EGT gauges. Click here for customers write-up

Visit www.doyouneedabrain.co.uk

My Mini build diary

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

On 01/05/2006 08:54:01 Bat said:

Refer the to the NO BITCHING post, please! *wink* *tongue* Thank you!

Bat; it's clear these two are nearly married - so i don't think it applies...

Vegard

7763 Posts

Norway

I just lost out on these on Ebay. Goody I (or Andrè, we haven't decided yet) mad my own :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...:MEDW:IT&ih=001

graemec

940 Posts
Member #: 1424
Post Whore

Carnforth, Lancs

I have the 18G613 one which I would be happy loan out to TM members in a similar way to Dicanio's crank tap.

PM me and I will happily post the item out then return it with a cheque to cover my postage costs (agreed in advance).
I might ask new members to TM for a small deposit up front as these tools are difficult to come by now.

If of any use I also have:
18G572 Synchromesh Assembly Ring
18G617/2 which I think is the drift for replacing first motion shaft bearings in teh flywheel housing - unfortunately I don't have the other part of the tool for removing them!

Scruffy

1451 Posts
Member #: 328
Post Whore

Seaford Rise, South Australia

Nice carpet Vegard!

On 5th Sep, 2011 Vegard said:
I stand corrected. You should know *wink*

Vegard

7763 Posts

Norway

On 20th Mar, 2008 Scruffy said:
Nice carpet Vegard!

Better than the one I'll need for my skull if this trend continues.

miniminor63

1849 Posts
The oversills police

Oslo, Norway

ha ha! I guess you are not able to see it in the mirror yet though *tongue*

Home > How To > Make a tool for efficiently removing the gearbox mainshaft bearings!
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: