Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > MS Trials & Testing > 36 - 1 Signal Generator

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

Rather than risk high jacking one of Jean's threads I thought it best to start a new one here.

On 12th of Feb, 2007 at 10:29am AlexF2003 said:

I have used a sound card 36-1 signal generator but its use was limited as to change engine speed you had to load a different MP3 file.

I've been playing with a similar (possibly the same) bit of software recently and I was wandering do people have problems getting you scope to trigger using the sound card 36-1 sig gen, or is it just my 1970s scope that can't cope?

I'm toying over building a missing pulse detector (read 555) and connecting that to the external trigger to see if that is any better. Again has anyone tried this or does anyone have any suggestion regarding this trigger method?

As an aside this is the sound-card sig gen which I'm using

Finally after reading this thread I'm not sure if I've posted in the correct section or not (or even the correct website for that matter) therefore if the mods feel that this is the wrong place for this thread please move it.

Edited by Rob H on 18th Feb, 2007.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

AlexF2003

5795 Posts
Member #: 80
AFRacing LTD

Newbury, Berks

Perfect place for this thread!

What do you mean by a missing pulse detector?

Alex

AlexF

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

a scope will jstu trigger off a rising or falling edge unfortunately, so you jsut need to make sure your timebase is sufficient to fit over 36 teeth on the screen and the refresh is slow enough/screen is fast enough for you to see when the missing teeth occur!

you can also turn a spare megasquirt into a toothed wheel generator if you have one.

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

Just found this:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/b.heggs/vrssim/

I haven't tried it yet, but looks promising.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

I don't want to high jack this thread but if you want to use a 36-1 signal generator with a Megasquirt you may be interested in this.

I have designed a board that connects to a Megasquirt and allows you to input signals into the ECU or get the signals out. Here is the board:

You can use this board with a stimulator, instead of a stimulator, or in a car with the wiring harness. All signals can either go through from one DB37 to the other or you can break the connection and change a signal.

So to use this with a signal generator, you could put the board between the MS and the stim, break the tach connection and connect the signal generator to the board. Or if you don't have a stim, you can just connect 12 V to the board use a few potentiometer (or resistors) to simulate the different sensors. And you can scope all the outputs. There are even a few LEDs that can be used to check some signals without a scope or a meter.

I have a small web page here where I describe the assembly of the board. I will put more information later. Please note that I only sell bare boards and that the components have to be procured separately.

I will give a $2 discount per board for the forum members.

Cheers,
Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

RogerM

2514 Posts
Member #: 1217
I like nice quiet girly Minis

Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

Very interesting Jean, thank you for posting that.

Every day is a school day ...........

How fast and how expensive ...... the same question...

On 27th of Sep, 2007 at 12:45pm Jimster said:

why do you you think I got a girlfriend with small hands?

Bat

4559 Posts
Member #: 786
Post Whore

Bermingum

Hi,
Nice Break Out Box. Ideal for testing and diagnostics. Price is good too!
Cheers,
Gavin :)

VEMs Authorised Installer / Re-seller. K head kits now available!

WB/EGT gauges. Click here for customers write-up

Visit www.doyouneedabrain.co.uk

My Mini build diary

Home > MS Trials & Testing > 36 - 1 Signal Generator
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: