Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > 998 T2 Turbo Build

Advantage

1137 Posts
Member #: 1450
Post Whore

Near Paris - France

Good skills !

Did you do your own template for the vent ?

Rusty by nature

On 23rd Jun, 2008 paul wiginton said:

They said "That sounds rough mate." I said "Cheers it cost me a fortune to make it sound like that!"

dan187

774 Posts
Member #: 6724
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Yeah, just cut it out to fit the intercooler and so that it looked a good shape.

1275 N/A Sprite, 998 T2 Turbo Mayfair
1275 EFi Turbo

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

like that bonnet a lot .

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Almost there now, just a few bits left.

1275 EFi Turbo

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Unfortunately, as suggested by a few of you earlier in the build thread, the fuel return is too small (was trying the standard size pipe because I had one). I couldn't get pressure below 16 psi and it just shot out the carb jet.

Went to B&Q and they had 10mm OD copper pipe on offer for £10 for 10 metres. Have laid this in for the return.

I am still going to run the standard pipe for the feed since I have read on a few people's posts that it has worked for them. (I'll let you all know how I get on. Just need to get some rubber fuel line to try my new return out).

1275 EFi Turbo

Carl S
Forum Mod

1927 Posts
Member #: 1761
Stalker

Bristol

If you've got 10 meters of pipe dan, you might as well replace the feed as well.

Better to do it now rather than find that the standard feed cant cope in future, with you having to rip everything out again to fit a new feed in.

Advantage

1137 Posts
Member #: 1450
Post Whore

Near Paris - France

Carl, wasn't there an advice to use a larger return than feed ?

Rusty by nature

On 23rd Jun, 2008 paul wiginton said:

They said "That sounds rough mate." I said "Cheers it cost me a fortune to make it sound like that!"

maccamcvey

847 Posts
Member #: 6673
Post Whore

Worral Sheffield

Very nice, are you going with a mrk 1 or 3 grille?
I like the bonnet now was nearly sick when i saw the first pic, but looks very nice now, except the vent looks wonky now the paint is on, was nice in just primer. i am sure it is just the pic tho :)
nice build and should turn out to be a nice little sleeper

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

On 25th Sep, 2010 Advantage said:
Carl, wasn't there an advice to use a larger return than feed ?

Yeah that's why I've kept the original feed. all works ok so far.

On 25th Sep, 2010 maccamcvey said:
Very nice, are you going with a mrk 1 or 3 grille?
I like the bonnet now was nearly sick when i saw the first pic, but looks very nice now, except the vent looks wonky now the paint is on, was nice in just primer. i am sure it is just the pic tho :)
nice build and should turn out to be a nice little sleeper

Haven't decided grill yet. I think mk 1. I think the wonkyness is due to a few things: car being jacked up and flex in the bonnet when not strapped down at the front. Should be ok when it's all done.

Got it running around the yard N/A this evening. Just gotta plumb in the cooler pipes and take it to MOT tomorrow. Off to the rollers at Slark Race on wednesday to get it set up and an appropriate needle picked.

1275 EFi Turbo

Carl S
Forum Mod

1927 Posts
Member #: 1761
Stalker

Bristol

Yeah, the original feed will be ok, it just depends how future proofed you want the car.

It's usually inevetable that the hunger for power will increase *happy*

pieter

239 Posts
Member #: 7577

belgium

what type of intercooler did u use, it that the r5 turbo one?

Edited by pieter on 27th Sep, 2010.

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

On 27th Sep, 2010 pieter said:
what type of intercooler did u use, it that the r5 turbo one?

Not sure i'm afraid. Bought it off ebay just advertised as an intercooler with dimensions.

1275 EFi Turbo

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

No MOT available today, booked in first thing tomorrow.

Got it all running and took for a quick test down the road. All seems ok. Needs setting up with needle tho. When starts to come on boost it leans out and lags.

1275 EFi Turbo

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Went to Slark Race Engineering in Amesbury yesterday to get set up on the rollers.

Firstly I'd like to say I'd recommend the guy (Neil). Friendly chap, very helpful and spent the whole day with me trying sort a niggling problem and fantastic price considering all his efforts. (I was there from 10am to 8pm!)

Before I left for the rollers I'd had some issues with the fuel shooting out the carb. Solved this by using a larger return pipe (had tried it with standard size) and unblocking the float vent to allow trapped air to escape.

However, once I'd stopped it shooting out the jet, it still dribbled out when I blanked of the float vent. (FYI I've converted a N/A maestro or montego carb) so left the pipe open to air and ran the car N/A because it just wouldn't come on boost. Anything close to atmospheric and it would be starved of fuel. I figured it was the needle being very far from required.

Got to Slark and we tried running with boost, nothing. Changed to a very very rich needle, nothing. Anyway, to cut a long story short and after all the head scratching.
Turns out the drilling from the plenum to the carb which pressurises the float chamber when above atmospheric was blanked off in my carb! Drilled it out and absolutely fine. Ran boost like it was born to.

Below is my print out. Happy with the results. I was aiming for 80 to 90 bhp. So just got my target.

Spec is:
standard 998 block, pistons and gear box.
1275 cam to give a little more exhaust lift.
Standard 998 head ported and then opened out to give a few more cc's
Renault 5 water cooled T2 turbo with 8psi of boost
Intercooler (not sure what from)
Metro turbo manifold and bits
Metro turbo dizzy
Converted maestro carb
Playmini exhaust

I was going for a budget build, trying to use as much of what I had available to give me some turbo fun. It definitely does that!

Next step is to drive it for a year to iron any faults and save up for 12g295 head, electronic ignition and a new cam.

Attachments:

Edited by dan187 on 30th Sep, 2010.

1275 EFi Turbo

theoneeyedlizard

7261 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Thats a good result. Well done.

In the 13's at last!.. Just

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Well done. worth all the hardwork

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

Lovely job.

Why not come to our RR day in Tamworth, would be awsome to have 5 998 turbo minis there.

Only 100 miles from you

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

Anton

1050 Posts
Member #: 764
Post Whore

Staffordshire

Out of interest how much do you think the conversion cost?

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Yeah definitely worth all the hard work and swearing. Delivers a big smile at the push of a pedal.

Would love to Wil but can't make it i'm afraid.

Anton: I've spent just under £2000 on the shell, buying all the bits and restoring the car. The turbo mod probably cost me £600

1275 EFi Turbo

mcalvert39

388 Posts
Member #: 442

Manchester

Thats good espically just using a slightly modified standard 998 head and standard pistons.
Well done that!

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Had a panic today. Thought I'd blown the head gasket already. Turns out the manifold to head nuts had loosened and meant exhaust gasses escape causing a chattery sound.

1275 EFi Turbo

matty121

17 Posts
Member #: 8942

hi mate nice and effective build! what dizzy did you use?

miniallsort

230 Posts
Member #: 1131

nice build mate

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

So over Christmas I made some modifications and tided up the car to fix all the bugs I'd found.

Now running an MG Metro N/A cam, 12G295 head and 12psi of boost. Also fitted Megasquirt to control the spark timing.

Compared to the previous install this is (as you might guess) worse off boost but has a lot more top end.
Takes a bit longer to build up boost and has more lag when coming on and off at high revs. However, the top end speed and power make up for it.

I've had the fuelling tuned. It was running about lambda 0.7 with the old setup. I imagine that's what stopped it breaking, it turns out the compression was about 10:1 (I hadn't been able to measure it before) and I was running 8psi in it. It did boost really easily though but ran out off puff at about 5000 rpm.
Now running just under lambda 1 and getting 40-45 mpg (compared to 25-30mpg before)

The engine bay is a lot tidier now, run the water works better, removed the dizzy electronics, tee'd in all the boost control pipes better.

I've made myself some nice bits at uni, dizzy plug and rocker cover breather take off.

Overall it's now a lovely runner. Next step is to get the timing checked on the rollers, get some uprated shocks (only got standard ones at the mo, so if anyone has some they're selling) and get a black interior set to put in it.

1275 EFi Turbo

Rick.SPI

1596 Posts
Member #: 8027
Post Whore

Thrapston, Kettering, Northants NN14

It's a tidy car you have made yourself there, hats off to you :)

Edited by Rick.SPI on 9th Feb, 2011.

On 17th Feb, 2011 apbellamy said:
I popped my first one out the other day...

Home > Show Us Yours! > 998 T2 Turbo Build
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: