Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > 1275 EFi Turbo Daily

dan187

774 Posts
Member #: 6724
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

I'm starting to gather bits to turn my daily 1275 N/A (http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=326405) into a torquey EFI turbo motor. I made a post to ask a few questions (http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=446372) but thought it best to start another to show the build.
The plan is to turbo and sequential fuel inject my 1275 N/A. The target is to try running 4-6 psi boost on the existing setup... kent 266 cam and approx 10:1 compression (and otherwise a near standard engine). I'm thinking this will give about 90-110 bhp at around 6000 rpm.

So far i've got some good eEay bargains...

A set of near new Yokos for £60. My current cheap tyres are not coping well with rain and 60 horses so doubt they'll like a turbo much

A 2" play mini exhaust system £36 (I currently have a 1 3/4 steel maniflow one on the car)

And a GT15 turbo from a astra diesel van £5. A little bit of play but then again my T2 had some and has worked fine for 5000 miles. Also I thought i may as well test out the worry people have about using diesel parts. And if someone could tell me how to interpret the serials on the turbo that'd be grand. Am i right in thinking it is a GT1524?

More to come soon i hope...

Edit: not sure why the photo is upside down, it is up the right way in windows and doesn't seem to change online, sorry

Edited by dan187 on 27th Jun, 2013.

1275 N/A Sprite, 998 T2 Turbo Mayfair
1275 EFi Turbo

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

ok so i've managed to google so info on the turbo...

Garrett® Part Number 454216-5003S
Model GT1549S
Manufacturer VAUXHALL
Model Astra G 2.0 DTI
Year 2000
Fuel Diesel
Displacement (L) 2.0
Cylinders 4
Power (KW HP PS) 99 HP@ 4300rpm
Torque (Nm LB/Ft) 110 LB/Ft @ 1800rpm

Trying to find a map for it now

1275 EFi Turbo

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

hope you will be using the siamese code on a cr of 10.3!!![edit] ahh yes still dont get greedy with the boost though *tongue*
looks very much like the gt15 i used to have, post up the a/r for the compressor/exhaust turbines ill prob have the map..

good price on the yoko's, i found a539s not bad on the road

Edited by Brett on 3rd Nov, 2011.

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Yeah i'm looking to get a MS3x and use staged injectors with twin lambdas to compensate the outers.

I can't find the a/r but have found the trim...
Compressor 50
Turbine 72

Yeah I have a539s on my other mini and they are a good all rounder

1275 EFi Turbo

minivan63

114 Posts
Member #: 9645
Advanced Member

South Wales

Looking good - you are way ahead of me already!
I'm looking to get some turbine inlets/outlets laser cut for my turbo (also a GT1549) - let me know if you are interested in any. Hopefully I'll get them drawn up this weekend and get a price for cutting next week. Your compressor inlets/outlets are going to be easier than those on the one I have - mine has bolt on flanges.

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

On 3rd Nov, 2011 minivan63 said:
Looking good - you are way ahead of me already!
I'm looking to get some turbine inlets/outlets laser cut for my turbo (also a GT1549) - let me know if you are interested in any. Hopefully I'll get them drawn up this weekend and get a price for cutting next week. Your compressor inlets/outlets are going to be easier than those on the one I have - mine has bolt on flanges.

Thanks, let me know prices and i'll get back to you

1275 EFi Turbo

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

i havnt got that map, and cant find it on the net im afraid

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Cleaned up the turbo today and found the A/R printed on it.

Turbine 0.35
Compressor 0.46

Does that help with the map finding Brett?

Also had a play and looks like it should be fairly easy to fit without a bulkhead box. My only concern is the angle at which the compressor outlet comes off. It aims back towards the turbo core but we'll see how i get on.

1275 EFi Turbo

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

So a few more parts collected...

Managed to get an Mpi engine cheap so will replace the one I have in the car. Will be good to have the 2.76 final drive for cruising. Looks like compression as standard is 10:1 so that's good still. Also means I have 1 pair of injectors just need to get another. I will use the cam that's in there and see how that performs plus if I make a second vr circuit I can use the cam sensor. I do have 2 concerns though: where can I return the turbo oil to the sump? And from looking at previous posts Tom Fenton says the Mpi gears are made of cake? Does anyone have experience of them crumbling?

Also got an intercooler from a Renault people carrier. But I'm a bit worried the large size of it will give massive losses and pressure drop.

Also have an Mpi tank to feed the injectors.

And made a start on collecting and making bits for the inlet.

1275 EFi Turbo

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Can I return it here? What is it?

1275 EFi Turbo

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

thats where the oil picup pipe attaches, there is suck from the oil pump the other side of that plate.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Thats a mounting for the oil pickup from the box, you might end up pushing oil back down it by returning there.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Paul R

4018 Posts
Member #: 1757
Back to Fucking Tool status

Swindon

I have an ic from an astra td in my garage somewhere mate can have it for some beer tokens if you want? Its from the gt15 turbo model as well

Drives
-Ford S-max Mk2 Ecoboost
-Rover 100 VVC #2 - track project

Searching is all you need on TurboMinis

Advantage

1137 Posts
Member #: 1450
Post Whore

Near Paris - France

10:1 and turbo, I like the concept !

Home made exhaust ?
If yes you can go for a clutch mounted turbo and then return oil throught the oil breather.
Clutch mounted turbo can also help with the packaging of the two lambda sensors.
Also, you can keep on using your MPI exhaust and its heat shield !

That's kind of my setup, only mine is still in my head so far ...

As for the high CR, Metro turbo had 9,4 without an IC so it's worth a shot !

Rusty by nature

On 23rd Jun, 2008 paul wiginton said:

They said "That sounds rough mate." I said "Cheers it cost me a fortune to make it sound like that!"

minivan63

114 Posts
Member #: 9645
Advanced Member

South Wales

I think you can set up the msx to use a vr input for the cam sensor. Could you dump the oil back into the transfer case if you drilled and tapped a hole in the side somewhere or would this weaken it too much?

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

On 18th Feb, 2012 apbellamy said:
Thats a mounting for the oil pickup from the box, you might end up pushing oil back down it by returning there.

On 18th Feb, 2012 Joe C said:
thats where the oil picup pipe attaches, there is suck from the oil pump the other side of that plate.

ah ok cheers chaps.

On 18th Feb, 2012 Paul R said:
I have an ic from an astra td in my garage somewhere mate can have it for some beer tokens if you want? Its from the gt15 turbo model as well

Thanks that might be good, i'll have to come have a look at it.

On 18th Feb, 2012 minivan63 said:
I think you can set up the msx to use a vr input for the cam sensor. Could you dump the oil back into the transfer case if you drilled and tapped a hole in the side somewhere or would this weaken it too much?

yeah MS will allow for another VR if i build the extra circuit conditioners. Yeah I'll have to have a look for somewhere to drill out so that i can return the oil. perhaps next to the cam sensor (where the mechanical fuel pump is on other models)

1275 EFi Turbo

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 20th Feb, 2012 dan187 said:

yeah MS will allow for another VR if i build the extra circuit conditioners.

If you build the 2nd VR circuit I'd recommend the LM1815N circuit from the MS2-Extra manual rather than replicating the standard VR circuit on the V3.0 or 3.57 board. I've never been happy with the standard VR circuit.

Or better still, use one of Jean's new dual VR boards for both tach signals as both will be VR in your case.

If you were to use the MS3-X add-on board, yes it does give a second VR input, but the same old unreliable circuit as the mainboard.

Just my opinion of course :)

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Can I return the turbo oil to inside the timing cover? Drill a hole here?

Edited by dan187 on 2nd Jun, 2012.

1275 EFi Turbo

madonminis

644 Posts
Member #: 9371
Post Whore

East Yorkshire

Why dont you use the standard return where the mechanical fuel pump used to be?

BHP sells engines, but Torque wins races!

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

I wouldn't put it there, lots of restriction in there and only a very small hole to drain back into the block. you may end up with oil backing up in the turbo.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

More than that all that will happen is that the half moon seal will leak even more than usual.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

Mill a flat spot on the gearbox and use a solid return like Jamie@thefatgarage did.

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

On 2nd Jun, 2012 madonminis said:
Why dont you use the standard return where the mechanical fuel pump used to be?

It's an MPi block there is no hole and i want to use the cam pickup.

On 2nd Jun, 2012 apbellamy said:
I wouldn't put it there, lots of restriction in there and only a very small hole to drain back into the block. you may end up with oil backing up in the turbo.

On 2nd Jun, 2012 Tom Fenton said:
More than that all that will happen is that the half moon seal will leak even more than usual.

Cheers chaps. I couldn't remember what the return hole size was like inside the cover.

On 2nd Jun, 2012 John said:
Mill a flat spot on the gearbox and use a solid return like Jamie@thefatgarage did.

I like that (see below). Cheers. I was hoping to put the engine in without stripping it but looks like i'm going to have to in order to get myself an oil return.

Edited by dan187 on 2nd Jun, 2012.

1275 EFi Turbo

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

how about putting a stub onto the top of the diff case, you'll only need 3 gaskets then.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

so a little bit of progress. Have sold the N/A engine and taken out. and started stripping the MPi for rebuild and drilling of the oil return.

1275 EFi Turbo

Home > Show Us Yours! > 1275 EFi Turbo Daily
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: