Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > MS Trials & Testing > MS3X MPi Trials

dan187

774 Posts
Member #: 6724
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

On 7th Mar, 2014 Rod S said:
On 7th Mar, 2014 dan187 said:
Clearly either rover or myself put the cam in 360 (crank) degrees out.

If you're using the standard MPI cam and pickup, the "mistake" was most likely over 60 years ago as the pickup runs through a slot cut in the old mechanical fuel pump lobe on the cam and I doubt they re-manufactured the cam to put that lobe at an ideal angle for the MEMS, more likely they just set the code/wiring to suit what was already there.

Thanks Rod, yeah I was suggesting Rover did it for ease of manufacture (rather than a 1 off cock-up).

1275 N/A Sprite, 998 T2 Turbo Mayfair
1275 EFi Turbo

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

On 7th Mar, 2014 Paul S said:
Glad to see you're making progress.

10% extra fuel is all that was missing. The standard FPR must have been running at around 2.5 Barg.

Thanks. Yeah, i'm sure i've read in a few places that's what some people have measured. A bit more fine tuning and then i'll also try some closed loop control to see how that copes. Should work well at low rpm if I have the pulse set nicely in the middle. I'll use it to help with warm up as the AFRs wander from each other as the walls etc warm.
On a subjective note Paul, this setup feels nicer to run than the 1 long pulse. It also seems the wander less during warm up. I guess because if I have the timing right i'm in the middle of the valve lift not right at the start. so for small PW its more likely to go in the cylinder.

What's you latest progress with MS? You mentioned you're running the 998 using the MPi maniold, presumably N/A. What was the reason for that?

Edited by dan187 on 7th Mar, 2014.

1275 EFi Turbo

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

The 998 with the MPi manifold is my middle lads car. The MPi manifold is a temporary measure to get the car on the road. It will be fitted with the T2 and manifold from the 998Ti. Also a new design 350mm runner inlet manifold.

There's also my eldest lads car with the 1293 Gt2056 MS3X project and my own 998 Gt1752 MS3X project waiting in the wings.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On a subjective note Paul, this setup feels nicer to run than the 1 long pulse. It also seems the wander less during warm up. I guess because if I have the timing right i'm in the middle of the valve lift not right at the start. so for small PW its more likely to go in the cylinder.

I think you have hit the nail on the head with the last words "so for small pulse widths it's more likely to go into the right cylinder".

To do the individual pulses you really do need over-sized injectors AND get the timing exactly right for all load/RPM points.

The single overlapping pulse, even though I've not tried it, has to be easier although the results may not be quite so good.

Ironically, if you read back through all the Rover documentation of the MPI development, they apparently opted for a mixture of both, probably to keep the injectors small.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

The issue with the individual pulses was the short pulse widths at idle.

However, the MS3 has improved facilities to handle short pulse widths by inputting a curve when the injector characteristics are non-linear.

On my 998, I'm going to be sailing close to the wind with 600cc/min primaries and 1000cc/min secondaries if I use individual pulses.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

So I've been tuning the individual pulse system for the last couple of weeks. It drives a lot better than the overlapping pulse. I think the most noticeable thing is the throttle response is improved due to the shorter PWs required and the greater frequency of injection. It is much easier to tune too. I've been adjusting each injector with the trim tables. The biggest issue is the resolution of the tables. I could do with a couple more bins. On the whole though a much better drive. EGO correction seems to be doing a good job at correcting most errors. Image below shows the latest AFR results. left hand plot is the difference between the inners and outers and right hand is the error of outers from the AFR target table. You can see at high rpm full throttle i'm not able to get enough fuel into the outer without filling the inners with bucket loads of fuel. Hence why I need to crack on with the manifold. Hopefully get started next month on that.

1275 EFi Turbo

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

I know this won't help you but the MS2/Extra code should be noticeably better when using individual pulses since it has code dedicated specifically for it. I just want to point it out for anyone looking at this and thinking about doing the same.

First, you don't have to use multiple outputs on the same injector. Second, you have separate injection timing and fueling for the inner and outer cylinders so that each one can be optimized. That gives you a full resolution table for correcting fueling. On top of that you can use the trim tables which are also full size on MS2/Extra.

Of course, there are other features that are either only available on MS3 or more refined compared to MS2/Extra. But siamese port fuel injection is still better catered to on MS2/Extra. So you have to weigh those in when planning this type of project.

Jean

Edited by jbelanger on 28th Mar, 2014.

http://www.jbperf.com/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I didn't measure fuel pressure before but now it is about 3.3 bar (seems that is max that the MPi pump can provide).

If your Mpi pump can only get as high as 3.3 barg, then it must be knackered.

You may have pressure in the system at idle, but I doubt the flow is high enough to supply the injectors under heavy load.

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

On 11th May, 2014 Paul S said:

I didn't measure fuel pressure before but now it is about 3.3 bar (seems that is max that the MPi pump can provide).

If your Mpi pump can only get as high as 3.3 barg, then it must be knackered.

You may have pressure in the system at idle, but I doubt the flow is high enough to supply the injectors under heavy load.

Oh, that's an interesting idea. I'd assumed 3.3 was about right. Any ideas what the max should be?
I'll do some googling

1275 EFi Turbo

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

The fuel injection pumps are positive displacement, so you should be able to wind up the regulator to at least 5-6 bar before either the fuse blows or the pump fails.

If you can only get to 3.3 Bar, then the pump must be worn and flow is circulating within it and not building pressure at the regulator.

I'm assuming that your statement about the max that the MPi pump can provide means that you have tried to wind it higher.

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

On 12th May, 2014 Paul S said:
The fuel injection pumps are positive displacement, so you should be able to wind up the regulator to at least 5-6 bar before either the fuse blows or the pump fails.

If you can only get to 3.3 Bar, then the pump must be worn and flow is circulating within it and not building pressure at the regulator.

I'm assuming that your statement about the max that the MPi pump can provide means that you have tried to wind it higher.

Yeah it's this regulator:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ME:L*surprised*U:GB:3160

I tried winding it right in but it only increased from 3 to 3.3 bar

I'm looking at this for a higher flow replacement:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...atchlink:top:en

1275 EFi Turbo

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

We've used the Walbro 255/Mpi conversion on the Mini 30.

Bit noisy, but more than up to the job.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

For what it's worth, on my old (now long gone) 16V K series Metro, the in-tank pump started to run erratically long before it should have failed.

I stripped it down (they are supposedly sealed units but you can bend the tangs back on the housing) and it was absolutely full of crud, mostly rust from inside the tank that gets attracted to the permenant magnets of the motor and fouls the armature.

All things being Leyland/Rover I'm with Paul, knackered pump.

I use an external one so easier to diagnose/change but, yes, try a new pump first.

The roller vane design they all use should be good for 10bar before the motor stalls and blows the fuse.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Got the Walbro 255 fitted... Paul you're a fantastic man! Problem solved, turned up fuel pressure and got 5 bar before I was more than convinced it was working.

I wound it back to 4 bar with no vac. Plugged vac back on and took it for a drive. AFR on the outers was instantly down to 13.5 at WOT at 5000 rpm.
So some injection timing tuning to do now to try and converge the AFRs past 3500 rpm.

Any recommendations on the pressure to set the rail at?
TurboDave did some work here: http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=9217
on small pw response of MPi injectors. Showing 5 bar was ok. However, if I plan to run 0.5 bar boost pressure that'll take my fuel pressure to 7.5 bar (1:1 rate regulator fitted). Is that too much?

1275 EFi Turbo

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Most setups run at 3 Bar and this is the pressure used for measuring injector capacity in most cases. Some setups run 3.5 Bar but that's usually returnless setups.

Running more won't give you much unless you are running injectors that are too small and you want to increase the fueling. And if your injectors are large enough for the top end, increasing pressure will just make it more difficult to tune the low end.

Jean

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Glad you got it sorted.

I always use 3 bar (no vac) as most injectors are designed for that.

Also 0.5 bar boost will add 0.5 bar to the pressure, not 50%, so no problem.

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

On 20th May, 2014 Paul S said:

Also 0.5 bar boost will add 0.5 bar to the pressure, not 50%, so no problem.

Doh, oh yeah. Not sure what I was thinking.

1275 EFi Turbo

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Dan, any updates?

Our 998 with MS3x and MPi inlet is running a treat, just need some fine tuning.

Then I may try the individual pulse method *smiley*

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Hi Paul,

lovely, have you got the latest afr scatter plot?
It was quite quick to go from long pulse to dual pulse, only a small bit of timing change.

As for updates, not really... I've got it running reasonably well. Need to adjust for air temperature as i've noticed now the cooler weather is coming that it's rich most of the time. There are also a few spots in the map which are slightly out. But I just haven't had time to do much on it. Just been driving it. I got married in august and have been flat out working on Minivation bits so just getting back to having spare time now.

I hope to get my bespoke inlet manifold made and on the car before Christmas. so that will should be interesting once it's running.

1275 EFi Turbo

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Latest plot:

Only spent a couple of hours on it so far. Drives well apart from a very occasional loss of sync that I need to diagnose.

Still a bit to do but the lad has cleaned the car, put the cover on and moved onto doing his brothers 1293 Efi Turbo Racing Flame *oh well*

JumboHH

10 Posts
Member #: 10968

Hi Dan, Hi Paul,

I'm trying also a MS3 at a 1380ccm MPi with the original injectors full sequential. I have the injector timing at end of squirt. The Engine runs well until 5.000 rpm. I have some problems to find the correct timing at low rpm and high MAP, and high rpm and low MAP. Can you help me there? What difference you have between 100kPa and 35kpa at the same rpm? I'm at the moment at 650 deg at Idle and 540 deg at full throttle at 6.500 rpm.
My second problem is speed misfire at more than 5.300 rpm. I have Lost Sync Reason 22 - Rover#2 tooth error. Do you have any idea how to fix this?

Stefan

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

The standard injectors will not support the airflow of a 1380. I suggest you go a lot higher, say 800cc/min.

I use mid pulse timing, so cannot comment on the injection timing figures.

Have you switched on the noise filtering? this may help with the sync loss.

JumboHH

10 Posts

End Pulse Timing is like mid puls +90 deg. I want to make sure, that the inner Inlet is closed, before start injecting the outer. Your values would be smaller by 90 degrees. I have a fuel pressure of 4.0 bar and set 500ccm per min. So I get a max PW of 4.6ms. At the moment, I have a max duty circle of 20%. But I also think it runs better with bigger injectors and less fuel pressure.
I have no idea what settings I have to do for the noise filtering. What values should I try?

(apologize my bad english)

JumboHH

10 Posts

Here two logs from the missfire

Attachments:

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

On 20th Nov, 2014 JumboHH said:
End Pulse Timing is like mid puls +90 deg.

That's only true at one specific pulse width at a specific RPM. Any change in any parameter will make the timing wrong.

If you're using a single pulse (as you will do with an MS3) you need to use the middle of the pulse timing. Otherwise, you can't have a stable timing and fueling.

Jean

Home > MS Trials & Testing > MS3X MPi Trials
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: