Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > 998 running a Mpi manifold and MS3X

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Finally got the engine running on the restored Mini 30. Fitted a Mpi manifold to get it on the road.

Running MS3X in fully sequential mode. Hall sensors on crank and cam and LS coils. Twin widebands to monitor AFRs on inner and outer cylinders.

The engine has been built for turbo use but decided best start NA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DduREPTqbuY

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Turbo Phil

4620 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Good to see you're still developing things Paul.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

wolfie

8215 Posts
Member #: 90
Post Whore

Somewhere around Swindon

I would say good effort but its much more than that.

Keep it up its interesting to see new developments.

Crystal Sound Audio said:

Why wolfie...you should have your name as Fuckfaceshithead !

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."-Douglas Adams

Mike-998

882 Posts
Member #: 9774
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Looks really good, is there a build thread for the engine? will be interesting to see the results as well

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...tid=469104&fr=0

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

There is a build thread "budget 998" should find it.

I just realised that the OP suggests that we were having problems getting it running. That was not the case. It was just a matter of getting the motivation to make some progress.

Yesterday we managed to get oil pressure... easy enough if the new loom had not had a disconnected link for an inhibit switch hidden behind the heater :(

This morning we saw synch on the ECU after a slight mod to the hall sensor input.

Checked the fuel pump for operation, fuses in the coils, check the accuracy of the spark then fuses in the injectors and tried to fire it up.

Didn't fire straight up but kicked back a bit. After reducing the cranking advance a tad, off it went :)

Edited by Paul S on 13th Oct, 2013.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

excellent ,, I really like the way your simplifying this .

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

minivan63

114 Posts
Member #: 9645
Advanced Member

South Wales

Good work Paul. Glad you got your motivation back.

So is this this running two injector outputs from the MSX to a single injector? If so did you have any issues wiring them together?

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Good stuff.

How soon before any datalogs ?

Re. the motivation thing, similar here. I'd completely lost interest (apart from messing around with some extra electronics) for nearly 18 months until I took my daily in for an MOT a couple of weeks ago and the garage owner and MOT tester demanded to know why I still hadn't finished the Mini and brought it in for its test yet.

Anyway, another question - why the hall switch in the old dizzy location ? I thought you had got one working on the back of the cam sprocket (thus potentially saving a lot of space).

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 14th Oct, 2013 minivan63 said:
Good work Paul. Glad you got your motivation back.

So is this this running two injector outputs from the MSX to a single injector? If so did you have any issues wiring them together?

No, this is just simple two injector outputs but will have staged secondaries once we add the turbo and new inlet manifold. I'll probably try the closed loop/two drivers/single injector thing on my car. This is my middle lads project.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 14th Oct, 2013 Rod S said:
Good stuff.

How soon before any datalogs ?

Re. the motivation thing, similar here. I'd completely lost interest (apart from messing around with some extra electronics) for nearly 18 months until I took my daily in for an MOT a couple of weeks ago and the garage owner and MOT tester demanded to know why I still hadn't finished the Mini and brought it in for its test yet.

Anyway, another question - why the hall switch in the old dizzy location ? I thought you had got one working on the back of the cam sprocket (thus potentially saving a lot of space).

It'll be a while before we get any datalogs. It's not my car and I'm taking a back seat with the rest of the build, just helping when required.

The cam sensor in the dizzy body was the cheapest and simplest way forward in this instance. I have the cam sensor on the back of the cam sprocket on the other two engines awaiting cars to fit them in.

dan187

774 Posts
Member #: 6724
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Good to see you back Paul. Glad the install went well. I thoroughly recommend getting the megalog viewer premium package. the 3d plots are so useful for mapping the AFR balance. it calculates custom fields so the AFR difference is easy to plot. You can import many logs to get a whole hoard of data points.

1275 N/A Sprite, 998 T2 Turbo Mayfair
1275 EFi Turbo

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 14th Oct, 2013 dan187 said:
Good to see you back Paul. Glad the install went well. I thoroughly recommend getting the megalog viewer premium package. the 3d plots are so useful for mapping the AFR balance. it calculates custom fields so the AFR difference is easy to plot. You can import many logs to get a whole hoard of data points.

Just got prompted by MegalogViewer to upgrade when I went to check an old log file.

Very useful set of new tools. Makes it easy to see where you need to make adjustments to the injection timing. We had a spreadsheet all setup but it still took time to import the data.

Having a problem with the TPS on this build. Looks like I've wired it up wrong and blown F2 *frown* Easy fix though.

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Any further development on this Paul? Have you got a 3D plot of AFRs?

1275 EFi Turbo

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

We sorted out the TPS problem.... broken connection.

The car has been mechanically complete for a while now. Axel drove it in and out the garage at the weekend.

We waited until the weather improved before fitting the headlining and now the interior is going in.

Should be going for an MOT in a few weeks :)

It will be good to have a running mini again. It may provide the motivation to finish the other two.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

*happy*

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

smart!

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Looking really good. Not far to go at all!

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Ready for MOT *happy*

Hopefully soon get some data-logs.

Any body interested in a "how to" write up on the mapping and injection timing setup?

wng691s clubby

2057 Posts
Member #: 9252
Post Whore

Cleethorpes

how would be great paul

Done now needs redoing lol

Yo-Han

969 Posts
Member #: 3228
Post Whore

North of the Netherlands

Nice car Paul, bet it's running real smooth.

Would deffinately be interested in that write up.

Dazed and Confused....

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

yep id like a how to paul plan to get a hustle on with mine ive regained motivation also back from working away for weeks..

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Paul,
are you interested in my injector timing map? I'm now pretty much there with having balanced afr's across the whole map without the need for closed loop control. (I'm using fully sequential, whereas I know you were talking of keeping the long pulse method).

1275 EFi Turbo

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Very interested in your map.

We are going to start it off simple with the long pulse, but I would like to try the 2 short pulse method at some time.

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

Intrested in a how to, to... :)

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

On 26th Jun, 2014 Paul S said:
Very interested in your map.

We are going to start it off simple with the long pulse, but I would like to try the 2 short pulse method at some time.

I'd recommend going straight to 2 short pulses per port, I found there was a lag in throttle response with the long pulse due to only injecting half as often. Also, it's a lot easier to tune and seems to be less influenced by coolant and air temperatures. I'll put something up when I'm back from work.

Edited by dan187 on 26th Jun, 2014.

1275 EFi Turbo

Home > Show Us Yours! > 998 running a Mpi manifold and MS3X
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: