Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Bretts Clubby build #2 998ti

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Sooo, some of you have heard me talk about an up and coming 998ti
in actual fact its not up and coming it quite some way into the build, the clubby shell acquired from john is as rough as a badgers ball sack but its very solid more importantly in budget *happy*

The plan for this is a stock ish 998 injected turbo, i have been spying something in the gt12 to gt15 range ( and tbh twincharged has cropped up again *happy* but that has been put to bed ill explain later) ( id be happy with 80bhp ) but i dont want to wait around for it
there are 2 plans with this,

Plan number 1,
SPI turbo
Yup S.P.I, the reason i have chosen this path first is 2 fold, i have an spi settup good to go and im seeing alot of posts recently about the lack of information relating to boosted injection with dual widebands,
it has been done, not denying that but i dont recall anyone doing it with dual widebands

Plan number 2,
port injection
Using the MPI manifold with ms2extra and the Siamese code, same as above but the injection event tightly controlled to promote correct fueling across all 4 cylinders

i started this some weeks back but i quickly go to a point where i had a running engine for mocking up on and stumbled into the first problem the metro turbo manifold doesnt fit with either the spi or mpi manifolds, so that killed 2 of my plans,
-twin charged T3 and GT15 compounded just because i can *happy* ( or in this case cant... easily)
-using stock parts, im gonna need a custom manifold at least

anyway parts bin raided and pulled out 3 manifolds a stock cast one and 2 injection ones that look somewhat like a turbo manifold melting and drooped to one side i picked the new old stock injection manifold out for mocking up

what i am now doing is putting the turbo over the clutch housing thus sidemounted, using the injection manifold and an extension 'up pipe' it all seems too easy,, using dual widebands settup before the turbo via sample tubes

shell wise it will be getting new sills as i have them, tubbed arches and be running quite low, i bought a set of 12s for it but im not feeling the vibe so it may end up with my 10x6 wellers of my awd vtec turbo mini as that will be getting a refit soon

the clubman may even end up slammed with mig arches 10x6 wellers and be a carbon copy of how the vtec mini is / was

target of april next year, should be do able, i could have this driving in a day as it stands but the injection and turbo fabricating will take time, not to mention the other mini pushing to get that running / driving before christmas lol, then the skyline need more power... when does it end lol

some pictures to follow

few shots of the clubby

could do with simplifying this, some stuff on there i can bin spi manifols

the bare mpi manifold here

[img][/img]

Edited by Brett on 9th Oct, 2014.

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

Looking forward to the pics

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

We should compare notes *smiley*

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

How dare you put a picture of me in your build thread! *wink*

Please don't paint it satin black.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Brett

9502 Posts
Post Whore

now, hopefully i can get all this settup with what i have to hand, the only expense i can see will be the turbo, it turns out i had a lot more stuff stashed away than i first though
cossy intercooler, the mini was already turbo so fueling lines are all there, i bought a running 998 for it the shell is rough in places but sound, the maHOOsive radiator should also just drop into the clubby *tongue*

On 9th Oct, 2014 Paul S said:
yes i saw your thread and though hang on where have i seen that before, im not one to copy so thought id kick my thread off aswell *happy*
although this is a clean slate for me, no notes other than whats already on TM and first time injecting a mini
im interested on the fueling distribution carb - spi - mpi, im not sure it has been done all on the same engine
i figured since i have become at home tuning both carbs and injection i would have a crack at it

Instagram @jdm_brett

Brett

9502 Posts
Post Whore

On 9th Oct, 2014 apbellamy said:
How dare you put a picture of me in your build thread! *wink*

Please don't paint it satin black.

i very nearly flatcapped you lol can remove if you want,

actually ill show you the colour i want, give me 2 mins
Toyota 3L2

Edited by Brett on 9th Oct, 2014.

Instagram @jdm_brett

Shauna

1043 Posts
Member #: 10424
Post Whore

Swansea boyo!

ONLY 80BHP?! Seems a bit mild compared to Vtec! I'm so jealous of anyone with a clubby :(

They don't die, they just get faster!

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 9th Oct, 2014 Brett said:

yes i saw your thread and though hang on where have i seen that before, im not one to copy so thought id kick my thread off aswell *happy*
although this is a clean slate for me, no notes other than whats already on TM and first time injecting a mini
im interested on the fueling distribution carb - spi - mpi, im not sure it has been done all on the same engine
i figured since i have become at home tuning both carbs and injection i would have a crack at it

I originally logged data on the twin widebands with a carb but then went straight over to port injection, missing the SPi step. In those days (2007) folks on here were saying that wet manifold system would be no good on a turbo, so I missed that step out. It would be very good to get some clarification. I reckon it can be done with the MS and some big injectors.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Looks nice.. when u said rough i was expecting a hideous mini but that looks tidy

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

Brett

9502 Posts
Post Whore

On 9th Oct, 2014 Shauna said:
ONLY 80BHP?! Seems a bit mild compared to Vtec! I'm so jealous of anyone with a clubby :(

right now its a standard 998engine, 32k on clock not sure how strong the pistons are and dont want to find out
you know i have owned or do own every car i dreamt of as a kid, that red supra above was mine 400bhp, i had the convertable version too but with only 240bhp, and my skyline, out of all of them the red one was the best build quality by a million miles, the skyline is an absolute animal it is constantly begging for more...but i miss my little 998 most of all
what i will be losing in power i hope to gain in chuck ability, i miss driving flat out for 11 minutes from mine to my lasses absolutely flat out... 11 minutes, i miss that so much... i floor the skyline for 11 seconds and i have eaten 5 gears and rocking on 100mph less than 30s and its on the revlimiter in top. its fun, holey shit yeah but its not the same fun as you get ragging the balls of a mini *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

Brett

9502 Posts
Post Whore

I originally logged data on the twin widebands with a carb but then went straight over to port injection, missing the SPi step. In those days (2007) folks on here were saying that wet manifold system would be no good on a turbo, so I missed that step out. It would be very good to get some clarification. I reckon it can be done with the MS and some big injectors.

excellent, i have had an offer of a loan on a full carb settup if it still stands so i will do all 3 for completeness,
i think the general opinion of spi turbo has fluctuated slightly in the last 5 or so years there are have been a few built and not blow up
infact i have been thinking about the spi settup the most, as there is 2 common setups the oem single injector and the twin injector throttle body type one, so i will have to see what comes of it
also the MPI manifold as i am going for 100 or less bhp i dont think i will need 4 injectors, or do i is it a requirement of the code im actually not sure, i will have to look into that

Instagram @jdm_brett

Shauna

1043 Posts
Member #: 10424
Post Whore

Swansea boyo!

I know what you mean, so many people throw away their 998s for something bigger! I assume this one will actually be seeing the road *tongue*?

They don't die, they just get faster!

Brett

9502 Posts
Post Whore

On 9th Oct, 2014 Shauna said:
I know what you mean, so many people throw away their 998s for something bigger! I assume this one will actually be seeing the road *tongue*?

yup this will be a road goer,

Instagram @jdm_brett

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

also the MPI manifold as i am going for 100 or less bhp i dont think i will need 4 injectors, or do i is it a requirement of the code im actually not sure, i will have to look into that

The two standard MPi injectors will not flow enough for 100hp. A couple of 800 cc/min injectors would though.

dan187

774 Posts
Member #: 6724
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

The two standard MPi injectors will not flow enough for 100hp. A couple of 800 cc/min injectors would though.

Yeah, mine have topped at around 70-80 bhp

1275 N/A Sprite, 998 T2 Turbo Mayfair
1275 EFi Turbo

Brett

9502 Posts
Post Whore

bit of movement on this now, been chasing water leaks in the shell, just the one left now in the passenger footwell, cant decide if i want to do both sills or not, there not in a bad state if you ignore the couple of patches but i have the panels already

test fitted the wellers today, i can confirm the 10x6s dont fit over the 8.4inch disk settup,
they do however fit rather well next to them lol,
they have gone on the back for now and a health height loss

Instagram @jdm_brett

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Clubby on 10's *hehe!* perfect! I knew someone with those wellers that did a bit of shaving on the 8.4s n they JUST fitted

wng691s clubby

2057 Posts
Member #: 9252
Post Whore

Cleethorpes

looking good brett

Done now needs redoing lol

Brett

9502 Posts
Post Whore

been at it again, this mini is going to be another slammed mini, why not its my thing *happy*
anyway putting to use tricks i employed on the vtec mini, i know the hi/low units dont alow it to drop enough
so today i shortened a pair by about an inch, and by my calcs thats an extra 3 inch drop at the wheels and also it should be able to sit the shell on the ground hahaha,

i think i will custom make shock mounts for this one, tempted to put the diffuser from the vtec mini on this too ( doesnt fit around the rear diff on the vtec lol )

Edited by Brett on 26th Nov, 2014.

Instagram @jdm_brett

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

So itll sit lower than them pics ^^^

Brett

9502 Posts
Post Whore

yup needs arches tubbing yet thats about 2 inch lol

Instagram @jdm_brett

Coupe

998 Posts
Member #: 2178
Post Whore

Leyland, Lancs

Paul, I did a wet manifold injection turbo some years ago - the build thread will still be floating around here somewhere. It worked well, however it will have been in no way an efficient set up - at least not compared to the stuff you've been messing around with.

On 15th Jul, 2009 fastcarl said:
a breif struggle ensued but Will emerged the victor with a pair of undies in his possesion

On 21st Sep, 2009 apbellamy said:
No, but you did chuck your guts up over my front gate the Saturday before! You even managed to get a bit in your arm pit...

Paul R

4018 Posts
Member #: 1757
Back to Fucking Tool status

Swindon

brett I would strongly recommend the turbo off of a clio TCE, mine as a daily is a 1149 with 100hp, lag is very minimal and in a mini it would be awesome, cheap and small too.

Drives
-Ford S-max Mk2 Ecoboost
-Rover 100 VVC #2 - track project

Searching is all you need on TurboMinis

Brett

9502 Posts
Post Whore

what turbo is it? im spying a gt15, from a vaux, because of price and availability but always open to recommendations
i want boost low in revs, max 130bhp ( actually 100) but i want to rev the little beauty

Instagram @jdm_brett

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Was choosing a red today for one of my minis... came across that supra red u want.. is nice.. dont worry i didnt choose it haha

Home > Show Us Yours! > Bretts Clubby build #2 998ti
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: