Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > MS Trials & Testing > MS3X MPi Trials

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Dan,

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...id=416587&fr=25

page 2 if the link doesn't open on page 2.

No diodes, just parallel them. Just like Rover did.

So far as I can see it's the only way to run MS3 for siamese.
(but never tried it, MS2 siamese is fine for me).

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

dan187

774 Posts
Member #: 6724
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Thanks. I'll try it as soon as I get chance. So how does ms2 Siamese differ then?

1275 N/A Sprite, 998 T2 Turbo Mayfair
1275 EFi Turbo

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 14th Jul, 2013 dan187 said:
So how does ms2 Siamese differ then?

MS2 only needs two channels (4 if using staged injection) and can either fire two short pulses, one for the inner then one for the outer, each with their own individual timing (fixed values or from two load/RPM tables) and their own individual VE tables (as one way of allowing for the different volumes of air in the inners/outers) or it can fire one longer pulse overlapping the two valve opennings (again either with fixed timing or a single load/RPM table and its own third VE table) and it can transition from two short pulses to one long one at a chosen RPM on the way up and swap back again on the way down.

The single long pulse and transition was added by Jean when Paul and I saw the possibility of the individual pulses getting too close to each other as they grew in length, the original concept was just to have two short, individually timed pulses but by setting the tansition high or low you can force either mode permenantly.

For an MS3 to replicate the two short pulses with individual timing it has to use four chanels (8 if staged) with the outputs paired together which is what Rover did with their four channel MEMS which comes back to your question so I presume you have just been running one long pulse so far.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Using all four(or eight) injector outputs has some theoretical advantages, but before we get carried away, you need to consider what may happen in practise:

Firstly, if you are already firing the injector continuously throughout the outer cylinder intake stroke, then you will not get the outers any richer without increasing the injector capacity.

You then need to consider the fueling requirements for each cylinder. In theory, you may think that each cylinder needs the same amount of fuel. This is far from the case due to differences in Volumetric Efficiency (VE) and transient fuel.

The main difference in VE between the inner and outer cylinders is due to charge robbing. In your case this will be negligible with the standard MPi cam with 230 degrees inlet duration and lowish revs. As cam duration and revs are increased, then VE imbalance will also increase. However, with the right cam and inlet runner geometry the overall loss in engine VE can be eradicated: what the inner cylinders lose can be offset by a gain by the outer cylinders.

Transient fuel is the fuel that does not get into the outer cylinder at the first attempt. This happens because it sits on the back of the valve or on the port wall. It will sit in the port until the next inner inlet valve event. This means that the inner cylinder needs less fuel injected at each event and the outer cylinder needs more to replenish the transient fuel. This is a complex subject that needs more explanation but I hope you get the jist.

The advantage of using the MS3 is that you cam assign a specific O2 sensor to each cylinder and apply closed loop control to an AFR target table. However the limitation of the MS3 is that the 2 pulses relevant to each port are fixed at 180 degrees apart and work from a single VE table.

The MS3 does also allow for individual cylinder trims, so you could reduce the fueling to the inner cylinders by this method. I would start by running the inner cylinders at 90% and increase the outers to 110% to compensate.

The potential problem with the closed loop control is that the two loops could fight each other. Because the AFR of each cylinder is affected by the transient fuel, any change on fuel injected in one cylinder on a port will affect the other. You could easily have a situation where the inners will try to lean due to too much transient fuel which will make the outer loop go richer giving more transient fuel.

EDIT: Before anyone points out, I've used the term "transient fuel" incorrectly. Just need to invent a new name or does one exist already?

Edited by Paul S on 15th Jul, 2013.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Why not just use wall wetting fueling or something similar? We have always talked about wall wetting, haven't we?

http://www.jbperf.com/

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Thanks Rod, yeah currently running one long pulse. Presumably in terms of injector timing i'd set it for the outers and have to accept the same for the inners. In that setup would i want to run end of pulse timing (to ensure i'm done by the time the outer valve shuts)?

Paul, the 10ms pulse width limit you've spoken of, how does that come about? Is that limited by MS or the injector. (or are you estimating valve open time based on timing figures and engine speed, and maybe some overlap?).

I need to do a bit more testing to check if I am injecting for the entirety of the outer valve open period but if I am then i guess i need to change the setup. I assume I'm not as Rover were able to get it going with these injectors. I assume the power upgrades to the MPi models used the same injectors to output 70+ bhp.

Thanks for the pointers, yeah I thought i understood but... are the cylinder trims inversely proportional then? not sure i understand why inners leaning off to account for transient fuel will cause more fuel to be injected into the outers.

1275 EFi Turbo

robert

6744 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

'condensed charge' Paul?

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 15th Jul, 2013 dan187 said:
Thanks Rod, yeah currently running one long pulse. Presumably in terms of injector timing i'd set it for the outers and have to accept the same for the inners. In that setup would i want to run end of pulse timing (to ensure i'm done by the time the outer valve shuts)?

If you time the pulse to end at outer inlet valve shut, the preceding pulse will be working around inlet valve overlap. Stick to mid-pulse.

Paul, the 10ms pulse width limit you've spoken of, how does that come about? Is that limited by MS or the injector. (or are you estimating valve open time based on timing figures and engine speed, and maybe some overlap?).

Just simply 10ms is one revolution, i.e. two inlet strokes at 6000rpm.

I need to do a bit more testing to check if I am injecting for the entirety of the outer valve open period but if I am then i guess i need to change the setup. I assume I'm not as Rover were able to get it going with these injectors. I assume the power upgrades to the MPi models used the same injectors to output 70+ bhp.

Rover could not have achieved any better AFR distribution than you are. Anyone ever measure it on a standard MPi?

Thanks for the pointers, yeah I thought i understood but... are the cylinder trims inversely proportional then? not sure i understand why inners leaning off to account for transient fuel will cause more fuel to be injected into the outers.

If you are injecting around inlet valve overlap, a lot of fuel will go into the inner cylinder and then move to the outer cylinder with the charge robbing. So anything you do to alter the fueling of the inners will affect the outers.

Pulse per cylinder is fine in theory, but I spent two years trying to get it to work with mixed results. Single long pulse does the job.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 15th Jul, 2013 robert said:
'condensed charge' Paul?

Making waves and riding high :)

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

I've been so busy with other things i haven't had much chance to post about the tuning.

Latest scatter plot below. Much better now. Just updated the timing based on this log so hopefully will sort out the low end mismatch. still having trouble with the top end, so either i don't have enough capacity or have completely the wrong timing. It's difficult to tune full throttle on the road by yourself. I have to do a run look at the scatter plots and then go out again (not ideal). One thing I have noticed is that to get good throttle response you need a high value of accel enrich (i guess due to the shared injection) this however, does under certain conditions cause too much fuel to be injected.
I still plan to have a go at pulse per cylinder but don't have the time at the moment and this is working well (other than top end)

1275 EFi Turbo

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

So I haven't got round to making the manifold yet but have changed the way I inject so that it is fully sequential (with each injector doubled up on the outputs so it fires twice per engine cycle).

I just wanted to check how the 36-1-1-1-1 wheel should work and if mine is ok? I'm setting the injection timing on my MS3X to get the injectors to fire into the open valves on the outside of my siamese 5-port mini head.

Here is a trace of my composite log

Does it matter that the cam may be 180 degrees out? It's just there are different spacing between the missing teeth. Typically my injection timing seems to be working in the range -50 at idle and 70 at full throttle (N/A). However, even though the pulse width is typically only 5.4ms at 4000 rpm i can't get the outers rich enough, so just checking all avenues. The window for injection should be approximately 8ms (using same logic as... http://www.starchak.ca/efi/siamese.htm) so it seems a timing issue.

I have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator on the way so will set that a touch higher (reading some of TurboDave's old threads he suggests up to 70psi would be suitable). Also, when I've made my manifold i'll use this new regulator rather than making my fuel rail accept the stock one.

I'll be practicing my aluminium welding skills at the weekend in prep of making the manifold.

FYI: Also posted this same info on MSExtra forums
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.ph...=393628#p393628

Regards
Dan

1275 EFi Turbo

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

If the cam sensor is 180 degrees out then it will shift everything. I'm assuming that you are talking cam degrees, not crank degrees.

If you have not swapped over the injector wires, then they are not firing in the correct place.

EDIT: Having said that, your timing values seem to have accounted for that.

I still think that you need larger injectors.

Have you tried using the individual cylinder trims to increase the fueling to the outers?

EDIT2: Just read it again.

Your timing range is huge. I only see a variation of around 30-40 degrees from idle to full throttle.

I now have the MS3X and MPi manifold on a 998 running. Hopefully get it MOTed this summer. See if the values are comparable.

Edited by Paul S on 6th Mar, 2014.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Just checked the tune for the 998 running the MPi manifold and injectors.

To give a good fuel balance at idle, we are running 470 degrees injection timing. That's with the cam sensor set as the MS instructions.

This is the same as I ran it on the 998Ti.

If you are getting good fuel balance at idle at -50 degrees then something is wrong.

EDIT: I'm using mid-pulse timing and aiming for balance across both cylinders, so you should still be in the region of +/- 90 degrees from my setting. ( unless you are using start or end pulse timing)

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Hi Paul, thanks for the reply.

Yes cam degrees, although i'm fairly confident I installed it in the engine with the timing dots aligned and then tweaked my vernier timing gear to give 106degrees, so it should be as rover intended (which may not be what MS wants). My cam lobe seems to be located at BDC (not 120 BTDC as suggested here: http://msextra.com/doc/ms3/trigger-wheel.html)

Should I just swap the injector plugs over or does it not really matter if the software has taken account with the lower numbers?

Yeah the plan is to double up using a pair of standard injectors per port when i make the manifold.

Yeah the fuel trim is maxed at 25.4% adjustment positive on the outers and 25.4% negative on the inners for full throttle past 3000 rpm

I'm using mid-pulse fully sequential. Are you using the long pulse spread either side of valve overlap?

At idle PW is around 1.2ms. This is around 15 crank degrees. With a window of about 180 degrees to inject, the timing can vary from by up to 165 degrees and still get inside the window. Travel time at idle should be around 7.5 ms from injector to valve, corresponding to 112.5 crank degrees. Which suggests I am getting fuel in the cylinder from 155 to 170 degrees ATDC.
Is that correct thinking?
I'm using the chart here as reference: http://www.starchak.ca/efi/images/figure2.jpg

So if i'm right 470 degrees injection timing should correspond to 110 degrees BTDC? So if you're doing 1 long pulse that corresponds to fuel at the valve around the overlap point (112ms travel time). So you're injecting into the opening valve whereas my fuel is going into the closing valve?

I'll post up some data logs of today when I get home to show AFRs PWs etc.

Edited by dan187 on 6th Mar, 2014.

1275 EFi Turbo

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Actually that assumes 100% VE, which is more likely to be 20% at idle. So my logic is probably wrong.

1275 EFi Turbo

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 5th Mar, 2014 dan187 said:
Does it matter that the cam may be 180 degrees out? It's just there are different spacing between the missing teeth.

Yes once you're sequential (and hence aiming for open valves) as the MS has to know whether the valve is open on No1 or No4.
If it's out, its 360 degrees out (as Paul says) as the engine cycle is 720 degrees.
The composite log looks absolutely fine for the teeth being read properly but, as I guess you've realised, it doesn't show which half of the engine cycle (ie, before No1 or before No4) it's triggering on.

The failsafe way to see would be to borrow a scope again and put one channel on the cam signal and the other on the No1/2 runner injector and see if the cam triggers between the paired pulses or 360 degrees later.

There may be an easier way but I can't think of a failsafe one just at the moment.

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

So I took some logs driving to and from work today. I think it is simply a case of not enough fuel and matters being complicated by unknown scavenging amounts. It doesn't seem to be a timing issue. Because although i'm injecting 6.6ms which is on the limit of the time window, I've only got 4.4ms going into the inners. Yet the AFRs are 14.6 and 10.3 respectively. Yet it seems the injection timing I have at 4000 rpm, 69, gives the lowest outer AFR. So some of the outer fuel is spilling into the inners.

1275 EFi Turbo

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Did you have the injectors cleaned? It could just be an issue with flow.

I agree with your analysis of the injection timing. As you are injecting into each cylinder then your timing will b different from mine and at idle it is not so critical as there is plenty of time.

If you consider that you would expect the mid pulse of your injection event needs to enter the cylinder 90 degrees after TDC then the maths stack up similar to mine.

Allowing an extra 360 degrees for the incorrectly phased cam sensor:

70 + 90 + 360 = 520

I was running around 520 degrees at full chat under boost.

EDIT: Thought that was wrong, changed it, but now believe it is correct.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 6th Mar, 2014 dan187 said:
So some of the outer fuel is spilling into the inners.

Outer is last in the sequence.
1,3,4,2 is really 3,4,2,1,3,4,2,1 and so on
so 3,4 and 2,1
inner first, outer second.
So outer shot will only hit the inner if it's 720 degrees later (pooled and waiting like semi-sequential).

So with sequential it's easy to get enough into the inners.
The trick is to get enough fuel into the outers after the inners have "robbed" it.

You really need to know what your relative timing is over 720 degrees to understand what is happening.

ie, which part of the 720 degrees the cam sensor is commanding.

EDIT - typo on numbers....

Edited by Rod S on 6th Mar, 2014.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Is your FPR working correctly? Have you checked the fuel pressure?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 6th Mar, 2014 Rod S said:
which part of the 270 degrees the cam sensor is commanding.

Rod, I'm not sure that the cam sensor does anything other than to set the timing at start-up. The software will monitor the signal and check that it is consistent but I don't think that it resets anything every cycle. I maybe wrong, but that is my impression.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 6th Mar, 2014 Paul S said:

On 6th Mar, 2014 Rod S said:
which part of the 270 degrees the cam sensor is commanding.

Rod, I'm not sure that the cam sensor does anything other than to set the timing at start-up. The software will monitor the signal and check that it is consistent but I don't think that it resets anything every cycle. I maybe wrong, but that is my impression.

Badly worded by me....

What I meant was the MS, or rather the wiring of the injectors, has to be consistent with where the cam triggers the sequence (ie, start-up) during the 720 degrees. Once set, it will run in sequence, but the composite log alone doesn't show whether the sequence is starting on 2/1 or 3/4 and if the whole sequence is 360 out the fuel is going to the wrong valves.

(I thought I had previously corrected my typo of 270 to the correct 720, but apparently not on every line of the text....., now fixed.....)

I'm not sure if I've worded it any better but the scenario I have in mind is the fuel being injected against the closed valves on 3/4 instead of the open valves on 1/2 (and vice/versa) hence individual trims etc. making no difference.

The composite log shows the overall sequence is correct but doesn't show whether the correct runner (1/2 vs 3/4) is being fired in the correct sequence.

Edited by Rod S on 6th Mar, 2014.

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

i think the cam position is working ok then based off Paul's calcs. Clearly either rover or myself put the cam in 360 (crank) degrees out.

I fitted the after market fuel pressure reg this evening and been out for some runs. I didn't measure fuel pressure before but now it is about 3.3 bar (seems that is max that the MPi pump can provide).
Now, for the same rpm (4150) and PW i get an AFR of 13 rather than 14.3 so a little extra fuel. I guess this is pretty much all i'll get until i put in the second injector. I'll have a little play with the timing tomorrow to see if i can get a tad better. Feels so much better to drive.

1275 EFi Turbo

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 7th Mar, 2014 dan187 said:
Clearly either rover or myself put the cam in 360 (crank) degrees out.

If you're using the standard MPI cam and pickup, the "mistake" was most likely over 60 years ago as the pickup runs through a slot cut in the old mechanical fuel pump lobe on the cam and I doubt they re-manufactured the cam to put that lobe at an ideal angle for the MEMS, more likely they just set the code/wiring to suit what was already there.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Glad to see you're making progress.

10% extra fuel is all that was missing. The standard FPR must have been running at around 2.5 Barg.

Home > MS Trials & Testing > MS3X MPi Trials
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: