Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > MS3X MPi Turbo Tuning

dan187

774 Posts
Member #: 6724
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

If you were to look back through the threads you would see this project has been in the pipeline for a while.
It’s finally on the road!
General summary of the build is as follows:
1275 MPi Engine
SW5 Cam
MS3X ECU
GT17 (Chinese eBay special)
Fusion fabs remote manifold
Custom intake manifold and injector bosses with tuned length runners (See PaulS post from way back when)

Edited by dan187 on 12th Sep, 2023.

1275 N/A Sprite, 998 T2 Turbo Mayfair
1275 EFi Turbo

Yo-Han

969 Posts
Member #: 3228
Post Whore

North of the Netherlands

Congratulations!
That look like a well thought through setup!

Dazed and Confused....

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

images fixed

1275 EFi Turbo

Steve220

247 Posts
Member #: 11017

Shropshire

Saw this on FB, love the set up!

Turbo Phil

4620 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Nice!

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Cheers chaps.

Whilst the car may run it is having a bit of trouble getting enough fuel as it comes onto boost.

I have sequential injection with 1 injector pointing at the back of each valve (each port has two injectors that cross paths to get to the cylinder they point at). I'm using the 450cc Rover MPi injectors.

The plan to start was simply get the injector timing so that the 1/4 (outer) cylinder aligned with an open valve and 2/3 got the rest of the fuel.

This proved rather difficult to balance. So I then used the MS3X cylinder trim feature and that improved the balance until boost builds beyond ~0.3bar (and rpm gets above ~3000) and they would diverge again.

Final mod today was to wire the inner injectors to the staged outputs for the outer cylinders. My thinking that shorter pulse width would assist in finding the right timing.

I fear it's gotten a little too over complex and I'm missing something simple.

Anywho, here's a trace of the latest run. You can see the PWs of the outer staging and adding equal amounts from the two injectors (at slightly different timing)

1275 EFi Turbo

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

I believe this image is from someone on here. The question to confirm is where in the cycle should no.1 intake valve motion be located? Between roughly 30 BTDC and -200 BTDC? (thus making the green intake on the image suited to cylinder 4?)

and we end up with this?

1275 EFi Turbo

Steve220

247 Posts

Shropshire

Not sure if this is of any use

https://rovermems.com/discussion/mpi-injection-timing.html

https://www.starchak.ca/efi/siamese.htm

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Thanks Steve,

I've been referencing those. But the starchak timing table is the bit that confuses me. Perhaps my cam is 360° out compared to Rover? When they use 560° I've dialled in ~100° to get the fuelling to work.

1275 EFi Turbo

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

What fuel pressure regulators are EFi people using with their turbo? I've had a thought that maybe the issue is that the rate isn't rising with boost (hence the difficulty tuning)?

1275 EFi Turbo

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Revision A of the inlet to help show the injector bosses and angles on the injectors (which are the same for the final embodiment).

1275 EFi Turbo

Steve220

247 Posts

Shropshire

I had a weber 3bar efi one. Now have an adjust AEM FPR.

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Thanks Steve.

I managed to find my old thread (2013/2014) from when I first fitted MS3X to the standard MPi (no turbo).
http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...id=528171&fr=50

Seems I had similar issues at WOT and ~3500 rpm. At the time a bigger fuel pump and the regulator solved it (didn't remember getting the bigger pump).

I'll check out the regulator tomorrow with an air line and see if it rises nicely with pressure.

1275 EFi Turbo

Graham T

606 Posts
Member #: 1106
Post Whore

Hungerford, Berks

Looking Good Dan.

For the injector sequence, I plotted this off the MS2 running on the JimStim.

Not sure if it is of any more help.

’77 Clubman build thread
http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=618189

Siamese 5 port EFI testing
http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=611675

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Thanks Graham,

So it looks like your injection occurs ~240 degrees before the relevant spark event.

In MS3x the Ignition and Injection tables are labelled as occurring BTDC.

Therefore for a spark event ~20deg i'd expect the injection to occur ~270deg.
I'll double check today but I don't think that timing ran very well.

1275 EFi Turbo

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Looking at the SW5 cam photos the cam lobe is roughly aligned with no.2 intake valve full lift (which is 180 crank deg later than Graham's plot).

Which i think then aligns to my injector timing of ~60

Edited by dan187 on 13th Sep, 2023.

1275 EFi Turbo

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

With the confidence that my injector timing is in the right area I've moved on to investigating the fuel pressure system this morning.

To start I turned off the staged injection because that was making things too complicated and shouldn't strictly be needed until bigger powers.

On to test the fuel pressure. The regulator doesn't seem to change pressure with vacuum or positive pressure from an airline (a small dip or peak but then settles back to the same value).
As a test I upped the pressure 4bar.

Success! A much more balanced AFR distribution under boost. I guess i need a new regulator (which will also help with that lean top right corner).

AFR = Outers
AFR2 = Inners

Managed to sustain some boost for more than 3 seconds!

Edited by dan187 on 13th Sep, 2023.

1275 EFi Turbo

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

I have however, noticed the occasional misfire. You can see the outers go lean on this plot at the time mark.

1275 EFi Turbo

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

On 13th Sep, 2023 Graham T said:
Looking Good Dan.

For the injector sequence, I plotted this off the MS2 running on the JimStim.

Not sure if it is of any more help.

Interestingly looks like the MS2 Siamese code moves the spark event to match the injection event being moved (you can see inner vs outer spark differences relative to TDC.

1275 EFi Turbo

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Thanks to Graham for hosting me this evening and talking all things Turbo EFi. Was great to find another who has jumped down the rabbit hole so deep.

1275 EFi Turbo

Graham T

606 Posts
Member #: 1106
Post Whore

Hungerford, Berks

On 13th Sep, 2023 dan187 said:
Thanks to Graham for hosting me this evening and talking all things Turbo EFi. Was great to find another who has jumped down the rabbit hole so deep.

You are welcome.
It was great to finally meet and interesting to see another fully sequential EFI 'A' series engine actually running nicely on the road.

I love the car.

It picks up like a rocket, nice and smooth.
Off boost I cannot see you getting the AFR balance that much better than you have it. Maybe a little here and there.

I am pretty much convinced that the missing under boost is a rich misfire.

Looking at the logs of your journey home:

The richest I saw looking through is 9.3 AFR on the inner cylinders, but I suggest that they are getting much richer than that.
You will have to check the spec's but I am pretty sure that the Innovate controllers have a max and min reading and I have a feeling you are hitting that Max and then some.

On the time mark in the above, you had a maximum RPM of ~ 3800 before a sharp dip in RPM before it picked up again. As TPS was relatively smooth at that point, I assume that's a miss fire.

At those revs, you would have had a maximum injection window of roughly 7.8ms using 25% duty and worst case 6.1ms using 20% duty.
The Pulse widths on both inners and outers was 9.997ms.
I would be sure that a good portion of the outer injection pulse was getting into the inner cylinder.

Whilst you are not constrained with one injector pulsing twice in a cycle (As per the MS2 Siamese code), you still have to get all the fuel in the open valve within a very short space of time in order to limit the amount of charge robbing that can happen.

I think those MPI injectors are just too small to deliver the fuel you need without either injecting too early, so that the pulse gets into the still open inner cylinder or still injecting too late, after the outer inlet value has closed, hence pooling in the inlet tract and getting ingested by the inner cylinder on the next cycle.

Another issue I think is going to be due to the injection strategy. If I understand the MX3x sequential injection from what you told me, you can adjust the injection timing in the table, but that applies to all cylinders and there is no per cylinder adjustment - I know nothing about the MX3 code, so I have no idea on this...

Ideally, you would want to be able to model the injection timing so that you can inject sooner into the inner cylinders and later into the outer cylinders.
This way you can push the injection timing on the outers slightly later to avoid (as much as is possible) getting the start of the outer injection pulse into the still open inner cylinder.

But because you cannot adjust injector timing per cylinder, your injection window is actually much more limited, hence shorter pulses of more fuel are necessary.

Ultimately I think you will be chasing your tail higher up the rev/load cells without getting larger injectors.

regardless, nice car and it runs really well.

’77 Clubman build thread
http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=618189

Siamese 5 port EFI testing
http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=611675

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

As Graham says, the injectors are likely too small. At best you can expect to use about 20% duty cycle which means you need injector 4 times larger than what you would in a non-siamese engine setup.

The MPi injector are just enough for a low powered N/A engine and the fact you're using 2 per port is meaningless because only one is used per cylinder which makes it similar to the MPi. There is a reason why most (all?) setups you'll find here on the forum use staged injection. That's what you need to get enough fuel at high RPM and still get reasonable fuelling at low RPM.

http://www.jbperf.com/

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

I like the way you’ve phrased that Jean. I hadn’t actually thought about it being the same as an MPi before.
I’ll rewire the injectors and do a PaulS style long pulse and then stage in the 2nd injector as needed.

1275 EFi Turbo

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Short term however, I have a broken piston to contend with (owing to the lean misfire caused by the injection style). Also the engine was struggling with excess heat I think the old water pump and rad are not up to it. Circa 108C measured at time of issue.

I’ve broken off a small part of the ring land on no4. piston in 2 places.

Will add some photos later on.

I’m running (what I believe are) standard MPi pistons.
After the gearbox rebuild I had to do (lost primary motion gear). Funds are running low and I’d prefer to get 1 new piston like for like.
Assuming I get the tune right, are people reliably running standard pistons?
If not what’s the most affordable replacement? (from memory I’ve got no overbore).

Edited by dan187 on 20th Sep, 2023.

1275 EFi Turbo

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Bore looks clean

Two parts to ring land snapped off

Head and gasket clean

Bit of damage on big end. Might be due to the gearbox going 200 miles ago and a bit of that getting into the oil ways.

1275 EFi Turbo

Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > MS3X MPi Turbo Tuning
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: